Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will has a new vendetta
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Will Beback
Herschelkrustofsky
An alert reader has pointed out to me that WB has been on a 36-hour editing jag, removing innocuous cites and external links to the Constitution Society (T-H-L-K-D). Maybe SV is coaching him for the WP triathlon. At any rate, he is purging the project of any citations to the CS website, which is amusingly hypocritical, because when he is using a questionable source in order to push POV, he will point to the number of times it is used at WP as a measure of its credibility as a source. He is also removing all the external links to it. This is questionable, because, as I understand it, WP frowns on using a self-published website as a source, but does not discourage including it in external links. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But beyond that, he is also inserting innuendo into the CS article at Wikipedia:
The Southern Poverty Law Center lists the society as a "'Patriot' Group".[8] [hidden in footnote: "Listing here does not imply that the groups themselves advocate or engage in violence or other criminal activities, or are racist." Your mileage may vary.]

To be fair, the founder of the CS is Jon Roland (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who has apparently attempted to use WP for self-promotion, although probably not on a scale anywhere near to that of Will's bosom pals Cberlet and Dking. Will set him straight on that. But there's something else going on here -- Will doesn't put in a 36 hour marathon for just any Tom, Dick or Harry. What set him off?
lilburne
That reminds me one of the dates in my article is wrong.
Zoloft
Edits Editor First edit Last edit
3 (3/0) Will Beback 2011-04-12 23:28 2011-04-13 00:53

Three edits and a disambiguation is a vendetta?
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Thu 14th April 2011, 5:15pm) *

Edits Editor First edit Last edit
3 (3/0) Will Beback 2011-04-12 23:28 2011-04-13 00:53

Three edits and a disambiguation is a vendetta?

Sorry, perhaps my post was ambiguous. He spent 36 hours removing cites and external links, in other articles, to http://www.constitution.org.

Take a random sampling of WB's contribution history over the past days:

example example example example example example example

Some of these edits, considered singly, may be proper. What is striking is the absolutely maniacal fixation on this group. What did it do to WB? Inquiring minds want to know.
victim of censorship
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 14th April 2011, 5:08pm) *

An alert reader has pointed out to me that WB has been on a 36-hour editing jag, removing innocuous cites and external links to the Constitution Society (T-H-L-K-D). Maybe SV is coaching him for the WP triathlon. At any rate, he is purging the project of any citations to the CS website, which is amusingly hypocritical, because when he is using a questionable source in order to push POV, he will point to the number of times it is used at WP as a measure of its credibility as a source. He is also removing all the external links to it. This is questionable, because, as I understand it, WP frowns on using a self-published website as a source, but does not discourage including it in external links. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But beyond that, he is also inserting innuendo into the CS article at Wikipedia:
The Southern Poverty Law Center lists the society as a "'Patriot' Group".[8] [hidden in footnote: "Listing here does not imply that the groups themselves advocate or engage in violence or other criminal activities, or are racist." Your mileage may vary.]

To be fair, the founder of the CS is Jon Roland (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who has apparently attempted to use WP for self-promotion, although probably not on a scale anywhere near to that of Will's bosom pals Cberlet and Dking. Will set him straight on that. But there's something else going on here -- Will doesn't put in a 36 hour marathon for just any Tom, Dick or Harry. What set him off?

The thugee cultist of wiki
GOETHEAN is now locking horns with Will B.

Will Beback has now engaged the GOETHEAN over one of GOETHEAN's current favorite subjects, "David H. Koch" .

What should be interesting is how Goethean thug's ways work with the marathon editor Willy B.

Who wins, who loses on the David H. Kroch bio?
It's the blimp, Frank
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Fri 15th April 2011, 12:45am) *

Who wins, who loses on the David H. Kroch bio?
he he he, he said "Kroch"
victim of censorship
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Thu 14th April 2011, 7:45pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 14th April 2011, 5:08pm) *

Will Beback has now engaged the GOETHEAN over one of GOETHEAN's current favorite subjects, "David H. Koch" .

What should be interesting is how Goethean thug's ways work with the marathon editor Willy B.

Who wins, who loses on the David H. Koch bio?

Somey
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Thu 14th April 2011, 8:56pm) *

I believe you're incorrect, Mr. Victim. Mr. Beback merely "cleaned up" some reference tags, and didn't actually remove any of the citations in question.

Who wins, who loses on the David H. Koch bio?

Interesting problem. To know the Koch Brothers is to despise them, if you're a working-class or middle-class American. Whereas, if you're wealthy or you're interested in moving up the ladder of right-wing American politics, you probably think they're a swell couple of guys.

Wikipedians are likely to be more affluent than most, given that they can afford to blow so much time on trivialities... I'd say that extensive edit-warring on both Koch BLPs is absolutely inevitable, and that Wikipedia (as currently constituted) is incapable of controlling it without resorting to full protection.

I wonder if the Koch Brothers would take advantage of an opt-out policy, if such a thing existed on WP? Most WP'ers would probably argue that they'd have to be ineligible, but I'm not so sure about that - and I suspect they'd be more likely than most to opt out. Whether that's good or bad is debatable, but either way, there's little doubt in my mind that NPOV is probably an impossibility in their case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.