Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another SlimVirgin atrocious edit
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > SlimVirgin
Olivier Besancenot
Here's a good example of an atrocious SlimVirgin edit -

SlimVirgin works at NPOV

It is about Abu Nidal.

SlimVirgin's contribution to being encyclopedic, NPOV and the like is brought about, all in this one edit.
  • Neutrally describing Abu Nidal "as the most ruthless of the Palestinian political leaders."
  • Changed "rejected the PLO's 1974 ten-point program" to "reject proposals for a peaceful settlement with Israel"
  • Another neutral addition - "In his later years, he drank whisky every night, and seemed to prefer his own company, living like a mole, lonely and isolated."
  • more encyclopedic, neutral language added - "his tyrannical leadership of the ANO"
  • "It seems he grew to despise women"
  • "By all accounts, the ANO reflected Abu Nidal's paranoid personality, more of a mercenary group willing to act on behalf of diverse interests, than one guided by political principle."
There are other problem additions, but I won't go into them here.
Somey
She seems to have mass-reverted the work of one Adelson Velsky Landis (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who has been a WP user since last August, and whose activities there have been almost entirely to remove "POV nonsense" from articles about (mostly well-known) historical persons and events. Looking over some of the edits, I'd have to say that he's been doing just that, and not a bad job of it either... so it's understandable that he freaked out a bit when confronted with the Abu Nidal article. (I'm not saying Abu Nidal was a good guy or anything like that, but the article was clearly agenda-driven against the Palestinian leadership, and now is again.)

The username refers to a programming method involving binary searching, though it's usually spelled differently ("Adelson-Velskii-Landis"). The person is probably not a n00b, but doesn't look like a well-established user who's slumming it or trying to "block-evade," either. Most likely someone who wanted to do some good over there, and is about to be stopped, if he hasn't been already. ermm.gif
carbuncle
Well, it stands to reason that someone has to be the "most ruthless" individual in any group, don't they? I'm pretty sure that Count Basie was the most ruthless of the American big band leaders, I'm just looking for a reliable source. wink.gif
Sololol
QUOTE(Olivier Besancenot @ Wed 27th April 2011, 3:16am) *

Here's a good example of an atrocious SlimVirgin edit -

SlimVirgin works at NPOV

It is about Abu Nidal.

SlimVirgin's contribution to being encyclopedic, NPOV and the like is brought about, all in this one edit.
  • Neutrally describing Abu Nidal "as the most ruthless of the Palestinian political leaders."
  • Changed "rejected the PLO's 1974 ten-point program" to "reject proposals for a peaceful settlement with Israel"
  • Another neutral addition - "In his later years, he drank whisky every night, and seemed to prefer his own company, living like a mole, lonely and isolated."
  • more encyclopedic, neutral language added - "his tyrannical leadership of the ANO"
  • "It seems he grew to despise women"
  • "By all accounts, the ANO reflected Abu Nidal's paranoid personality, more of a mercenary group willing to act on behalf of diverse interests, than one guided by political principle."
There are other problem additions, but I won't go into them here.

Abu Nidal was such a monster that I can't be too upset with a POV article on him (but it certainly has large NPOV violations, even if I think they are correct). If anything, the little personal digs miss the point, like covering Osama Bin Laden's halitosis and addiction to talk radio. Nidal was a violent psychopath for hire. The only glaring issue is his characterization in the lead as a "Palestinian political leader"; if Abu Nadal was a Palestinian political leader then Bin Laden is a "Saudi anti-monarchist activist".
Strange that she'd leave out Seales' most controversial conclusion, his tentative suggestion that Abu Nadal had ties to Mossad. This theory is a big hit amongst the "Jews control the media" crowd where"ties" is interpreted as "was completely controlled by." Israel, like most nations, will play dissident groups off of each other (like we did with Bin Laden) but controlled Nadal no more than the US engineered 9/11.
Herschelkrustofsky
This is indeed classic SV. Her view is that "The BLP policy was never intended to mean that we can't repeat what multiple reliable sources say about such figures, and indeed it's that sort of extreme interpretation that has caused the policy to acquire a bad reputation with some editors."[1] Of course, Nidal is no longer among the Living Persons, so Slim is free to soapbox.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.