Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contempt of Parliament
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
The Joy
Contempt of Parliament (T-H-L-K-D)

MPs accused of Contempt of Parliament may be suspended or expelled. They may also be committed to St Stephen's Tower, although this practice has fallen into disuse in recent years. Strangers (those who are not members of the House) may be committed to prison during the life of the Parliament. The House of Lords has the power to fine as well as to order imprisonment for a term of years.

The UK punish contemptuous MPs by imprisoning them in a tower!?! Are they beaten by Beefeaters? Do they have to go in bucket? ohmy.gif

I would think being imprisoned in Big Ben would be worse, what with all the ringing and banging every hour...
Detective
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 14th November 2011, 11:54pm) *

The UK punish contemptuous MPs by imprisoning them in a tower!?! Are they beaten by Beefeaters? Do they have to go in bucket? ohmy.gif

I would think being imprisoned in Big Ben would be worse, what with all the ringing and banging every hour...

Dear me, that reads like a Wikipedian's knowledge of the subject. Do you think that every tower in the world has Beefeaters (or, to be correct, Yeoman Warders)? That's only the Tower of London, several miles from Parliament. In fact, Big Ben is a bell. It strikes the hours for the clock perched at the top of ... wait for it ... St. Stephen's Tower!
Peter Damian
Not bad, there since April 2011 http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=424565809, put in by some anarchist. Very clever how they have hidden it in a mass of other stuff
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 19th November 2011, 7:16am) *

Not bad, there since April 2011 http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=424565809, put in by some anarchist. Very clever how they have hidden it in a mass of other stuff

Looks like another bit of "subtle vandalism" to me.

RobinHood70. Har har. yecch.gif

Random twits keep messing with this article. It currently reads
MPs accused of Contempt of Parliament may be suspended or expelled.[16] They may also be committed to the clock tower under Big Ben,[16] although this practice hasn't been used since Charles Bradlaugh was detained in 1880.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.