Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Methods of passing as a female
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
the fieryangel
Doing some research on gender for our book, I came across this extremely informative article on passing a female. On a related note, there is also cleavage enhancement :

Cleavage enhancement encompasses a range of techniques used temporarily to improve the appearance of a person's breast cleavage or to create the illusion of breast cleavage on a person who has no such cleavage.

...and then there's the old standby : Hip and buttocks padding

I guess that people who already have breasts aren't concerned with the burning issue of cleavage enhancement? You would think, given the current drive for women to edit WP, that one of the Wikichix would have added that women can pad their bras and butts as well? How come only trans people are discussed in these articles?

In any case I can't wait for Britannica to have articles like this!
A Horse With No Name
I am soooooooooo happy that the topic of breasts keeps popping up in these discussion! evilgrin.gif
thekohser
Paul, did you miss the part about "used temporarily to improve the appearance of a person's breast cleavage"? That would include "people who already have breasts". Please, don't mock the Wikipedia.

Anyway, that "passing as female" Wikipedia article has multiple excellent sources -- two sources, in fact.

One of them is a Massachusetts-oriented gender-bender wiki, and the other is a what appears to be a blog post by Melinda Green, which includes the sage advice, "The bad news is that certain people get very worked up about who should be using which bathroom." This is especially true of McDonald's franchises in Maryland, right Gomi?
Abd
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 17th November 2011, 12:27pm) *
Paul, did you miss the part about "used temporarily to improve the appearance of a person's breast cleavage"? That would include "people who already have breasts". Please, don't mock the Wikipedia.

Anyway, that "passing as female" Wikipedia article has multiple excellent sources -- two sources, in fact.

One of them is a Massachusetts-oriented gender-bender wiki, and the other is a what appears to be a blog post by Melinda Green, which includes the sage advice, "The bad news is that certain people get very worked up about who should be using which bathroom." This is especially true of McDonald's franchises in Maryland, right Gomi?
That blog actually gives excellent advice. Melinda, whatever is in her pants, has something in her head. Uh, brain.

That kind of source would be welcome on Wikiversity, and then a Wikiversity resource could be an interwiki link on Wikipedia. If the article survives, that is.

Knowledge of what is possible on Wikiversity is not widespread.
the fieryangel
Yet another gem : Crossdressing during wartime : so, it's not just a Wikipedia thing?

And of course, Real life experience
is defined as being :

Real life experience (RLE) is a process where transsexual and transgender people live full-time in their preferred gender identity for a period of time, in order to demonstrate that they can function as a member of said gender.

Hmm, isn't this just a bit too specific?
carbuncle
Considering what a small proportion of the population is transgendered, there is a surprising amount of material on WP relating to transgender issues or subjects. A lot of it appears to have been created in the very early days of WP. I suspect that the proportion of TS/TV individuals is higher in the WP community than in general, but that may be a false impression based on the amount of TS/TV material in WP. It would be interesting to examine the histories of articles in that subject area and determine if many of the articles were created by a small group of people or if they developed independently.

I don't think that all of the articles are necessarily bad. Some of them should be deleted as how-to's, and some of them need to be either referenced or deleted as fringe viewpoints, but I see no reason why WP shouldn't have articles about transgender issues, so long as they are properly sourced, etc.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 18th November 2011, 4:05am) *

Considering what a small proportion of the population is transgendered, there is a surprising amount of material on WP relating to transgender issues or subjects. A lot of it appears to have been created in the very early days of WP. I suspect that the proportion of TS/TV individuals is higher in the WP community than in general, but that may be a false impression based on the amount of TS/TV material in WP. It would be interesting to examine the histories of articles in that subject area and determine if many of the articles were created by a small group of people or if they developed independently.

I don't think that all of the articles are necessarily bad. Some of them should be deleted as how-to's, and some of them need to be either referenced or deleted as fringe viewpoints, but I see no reason why WP shouldn't have articles about transgender issues, so long as they are properly sourced, etc.

I also think that there should definitely be artciles about TS/TV issues on WP. However, I must say that 1. the sourcing for almost all of the artciles outside of the main topic area are simply horrible and 2. it would be nice if things like "Real-life experience" were followed by a (transgender), so that other types of "real-life experience" could be represented as well.

Not everyone is a crossdresser. And we don't want the proverbial poor child in Africa to think that most men in the first and second World touch up their eye makeup and make sure that their handbag matches their pumps before they go to their bridge club...
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Thu 17th November 2011, 5:29pm) *

Yet another gem : Crossdressing during wartime : so, it's not just a Wikipedia thing?

How do you think Newyorkbrad avoided getting drafted during the Vietnam War years? wtf.gif
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 18th November 2011, 3:56pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Thu 17th November 2011, 5:29pm) *

How do you think Newyorkbrad avoided getting drafted during the Vietnam War years? wtf.gif

By reason of being too young.
HRIP7
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 17th November 2011, 4:04pm) *

I am soooooooooo happy that the topic of breasts keeps popping up in these discussion! evilgrin.gif

Mmm. My wife discovered this earlier, and she immediately thought of Commons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.