Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia's forgotten creator
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
thekohser
Examiner.com is holding a contest called "America Inspired". Because over $100,000 in prize money is up for grabs, I thought it would be silly for me not to do my part and enter the contest.

So, I wrote an article about Dr. Larry Sanger, for consideration as an entrant into the "Passion" category of the contest. If selected by the Examiner staff judges as one of 25 finalist articles, then the winner will be chosen by popular vote (between January 9 and January 27) -- one vote per day, per person.

I know there will be mutterings about selecting Sanger as my subject, and not a doctor or a firefighter or a cancer survivor, but remember my topic is "Wiki" -- and the submissions must be within my topic area.

Sanger and I have both agreed that if my article should win, both he and I will donate our respective prize money to charities -- him to "ReadingBear.org", and me to a local food bank and a summer camp for special needs youth.

So, here is the article for your pleasure and hopefully a supportive comment below it:

Wikipedia's forgotten creator
by Gregory Kohs, Examiner.com
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 24th December 2011, 4:33pm) *

Examiner.com is holding a contest called "America Inspired". Because over $100,000 in prize money is up for grabs, I thought it would be silly for me not to do my part and enter the contest.

So, I wrote an article about Dr. Larry Sanger, for consideration as an entrant into the "Passion" category of the contest. If selected by the Examiner staff judges as one of 25 finalist articles, then the winner will be chosen by popular vote (between January 9 and January 27) -- one vote per day, per person.

I know there will be mutterings about selecting Sanger as my subject, and not a doctor or a firefighter or a cancer survivor, but remember my topic is "Wiki" -- and the submissions must be within my topic area.

Sanger and I have both agreed that if my article should win, both he and I will donate our respective prize money to charities -- him to "ReadingBear.org", and me to a local food bank and a summer camp for special needs youth.

So, here is the article for your pleasure and hopefully a supportive comment below it:

Wikipedia's forgotten creator
by Gregory Kohs, Examiner.com

That's very nice Greg, and having intensively researched this period of Wikipedia's history I can vouch for its accuracy. Well done.

And Happy Christmas to you all, even to Jimmy, if he is reading this.
EricBarbour
Looks good! Best of luck!
Emperor
wub.gif on the Reading Bear woman. I'd listen to her read Abd posts. She should do the book on tape version for your book club project.
thekohser
QUOTE(Emperor @ Sun 25th December 2011, 8:26am) *

wub.gif on the Reading Bear woman. I'd listen to her read Abd posts. She should do the book on tape version for your book club project.

Melissa Moats is my secret weapon, should the article get nominated as a Finalist. The readers will not be able to resist stopping on the page when they see her pretty face (sorry, Larry), and once they read the article, then I'll have their vote.
thekohser
Alas, my writing about Sanger couldn't cut it against a bunch of ladies who feed the homeless.

Nonetheless, do go take a look at these inspirational stories, cast your vote, and see that the $100,000 goes to worthy individuals.
thekohser
We’re proud to announce that Examiner Kimberly Bogin and her nominee, Hideki Kinoshita (aka Kino), are the grand prize winners in our America Inspired contest.

Kino, a marathon runner who has already raised more than $50,000 for charity, will be rewarded a $50,000 cash prize for his inspiring efforts. For helping share Kino’s story, longtime Running Examiner Kimberly Bogin will receive $10,000.

And there are more winners! Remember, the nominee from each category with the most votes will receive $10,000 and the Examiners who nominated them will each receive $1,000. We’re thrilled to also announce the following category winners:

Leadership: Cari Meyers
Nominated by Kathryn Mordini, Chicago Pets Examiner
Outstanding Youth: Sean Young
Nominated by Robin L. Wulffson, LA Health Examiner
Overcoming Adversity: Sabrina Cohen
Nominated by Charlotte Libov, Miami Health Examiner
Sacrifice: Anthony D’Urso
Nominated by Karen Rubin, Long Island Populist Examiner

Congratulations to all of the winners, and a huge thank you to everyone for their continued efforts to share and promote all of our America Inspired nominees. We received close to 1,000 entries and, in the end we tallied an impressive 40,000 votes across all categories.

Want to support all the nominees? Click here to learn how to contribute to the causes of our 25 finalists and keep the America Inspired spirit alive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.