Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia raises 20 million dollars
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Wikifan
source

Barely two million is spent on hosting on the website according to WMF's annual report - pg 34

meanwhile, over 9 million dollars was spent on salaries, and 2.3 million spend on "external contractors." wtf is that?

thekohser
QUOTE(Wikifan @ Tue 3rd January 2012, 10:47pm) *

wtf is that?

It's what I've been telling you since August 2007.
timbo
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 3rd January 2012, 10:26pm) *

wtf is that?

>>10. Wikipedia is dead. Citizendium; Answers; Ability of anyone to fork

If so, you're only batting .500.

t
Wikifan
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 4th January 2012, 6:26am) *

wtf is that?

so now your pimping your own site? i just saw this now after being bombarded with requests for free money. honestly - where does this money go? like, who are these "external contractors?"

and the 20 million was funded in like three months, not a whole year. just three months of fundraising.

so 18 million to spend between 75 employees (subtracting hosting costs).
Cla68
QUOTE(Wikifan @ Wed 4th January 2012, 9:54am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 4th January 2012, 6:26am) *

wtf is that?

so now your pimping your own site? i just saw this now after being bombarded with requests for free money. honestly - where does this money go? like, who are these "external contractors?"

and the 20 million was funded in like three months, not a whole year. just three months of fundraising.

so 18 million to spend between 75 employees (subtracting hosting costs).

I would say that if you like to travel, then now would be a good time to work for the WMF. They have enough money to send most of the staff to just about any conference, symposium, meet-up, or workshop related to social media, the free content movement, the future of the Internet, web-based education initiatives, etc, anywhere in the world. Next time the Japan chapter has a meetup, we should invite Ms Gardner to come and bring most of her staff. The only limfac they should have is scheduling, as money shouldn't be a problem.
mbz1
QUOTE(Wikifan @ Wed 4th January 2012, 3:47am) *

source

Barely two million is spent on hosting on the website according to WMF's annual report - pg 34

meanwhile, over 9 million dollars was spent on salaries, and 2.3 million spend on "external contractors." wtf is that?

How much was the target? Wasn't it 29 millions? Yes, they are planning to spend 28.3 millions So, these 8 millions dollars are going to be taken from last year leftovers?
thekohser
QUOTE(mbz1 @ Thu 5th January 2012, 12:27am) *

How much was the target? Wasn't it 29 millions? Yes, they are planning to spend 28.3 millions So, these 8 millions dollars are going to be taken from last year leftovers?

No, from corporate and foundational donors. (Stanton Foundation, Google, Ford Foundation, etc.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.