Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dan Murphy, say hello
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
DanMurphy
I suspect a moderate level of activity as I do research for an article in the next few weeks and beyond that, god willing, only occasional appearances (and forgive my typing in the next week or so; just got a new laptop and the keyboard is a little unfamiliar).
tarantino
Welcome to the Review, Dan.
gomi
Admin note: it seems to have become customary to point out, for our celebrity users, that the User posting above, Dan Murphy, has registered and validated from an email address that seems very likely to belong to the journalist of the same name who writes for a well-known newspaper. Other questions can be taken up with him directly.

Welcome to the Review, Mr. Murphy.
EricBarbour
As I said, Dan, if you need some facts and statistics for your article, check with me.
DanMurphy
QUOTE(gomi @ Thu 5th January 2012, 11:21pm) *

Admin note: it seems to have become customary to point out, for our celebrity users, that the User posting above, Dan Murphy, has registered and validated from an email address that seems very likely to belong to the journalist of the same name who writes for a well-known newspaper. Other questions can be taken up with him directly.

I'm a celebrity in much the same way that Obama is a golfer. First question: One of the posts on Mr. Van Haeften was moved (because it disclosed some personal info that shouldn't be shared with the great wide web). But I can't seem to get to it even now.
gomi
QUOTE(DanMurphy @ Thu 5th January 2012, 3:25pm) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Thu 5th January 2012, 11:21pm) *

I'm a celebrity in much the same way that Obama is a golfer. First question: One of the posts on Mr. Van Haeften was moved (because it disclosed some personal info that shouldn't be shared with the great wide web). But I can't seem to get to it even now.

Mr. Murphy, certain areas of our site normally open themselves only after a new member has made a certain small number of (useful) posts. I have, deus ex machina, elevated you to that position.
SB_Johnny
Hi Dan! I'm pretty sure I've actually heard your voice on NPR somewhere along the line. Welcome to WR, and nevermind you the bollocks.
radek
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 5th January 2012, 5:58pm) *

Hi Dan! I'm pretty sure I've actually heard your voice on NPR somewhere along the line. Welcome to WR, and nevermind you the bollocks.

Wait, does this have anything to do with that Murphy's Law video you recently posted (nice, btw)? THAT would be a celebrity posting on WR. This... meh.
Zoloft
Welcome, Dan!
As one of the people who can view the 'certain areas,' I enthusiastically approve. As a sometime editor, I like your work. As a penguin, I flap my little wings and slide down the ice.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(DanMurphy @ Thu 5th January 2012, 11:07pm) *

I suspect a moderate level of activity as I do research for an article in the next few weeks and beyond that, god willing, only occasional appearances (and forgive my typing in the next week or so; just got a new laptop and the keyboard is a little unfamiliar).

Welcome Mr Murphy! I confess I haven’t seen any of the Transformers films.
Web Fred
Welcome Dan.

First time caller, longtime listener. Aaragh!
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Fri 6th January 2012, 8:30am) *

laugh.gif
carbuncle
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Fri 6th January 2012, 10:20am) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Fri 6th January 2012, 8:30am) *

laugh.gif

For Dan's benefit, the producer of the Transformers series (as well as other lucrative pap) is Don Murphy, who used to show up here and rant like a petulant tween. He had been trying to get his biography deleted from WP, but I suspect he has given up at this point. He is banned from WP, but you can probably find him editing subjects related to his obsession, the Manson family/Sharon Tate murder.

Also, welcome.
KStreetSlave
Oh good, I was going to ask if there was any relation to that ego-maniacal buffoon Don Murphy.
Zoloft
QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Fri 6th January 2012, 4:18am) *

Oh good, I was going to ask if there was any relation to that ego-maniacal buffoon Don Murphy.

I was about a foot behind Don at San Diego Comic-Con a year or so ago, waiting in line for something else. When he's talking with movie fans, he's genial and energetic. I really don't know what gets into him at WR. I decided he'd call me a stalker if I tapped him on the shoulder and told him who I was, so I just let the line wind me away quietly.

Dan comes off as genial here. Good first impression.
DanMurphy
QUOTE(Wikifan @ Fri 6th January 2012, 9:53am) *

Yes that's me.
gomi
QUOTE(DanMurphy @ Fri 6th January 2012, 6:22am) *
QUOTE(Wikifan @ Fri 6th January 2012, 9:53am) *
Yes that's me.

Especially impressed by the CBGB's tee. Deep NY hip, that. I was going to make a snarky comment about Mr. Murphy appearing to be too young to actually have been there until I checked and found out it lasted into the 2000s. I thought it died in the early 1990s. Serves me right.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(radek @ Thu 5th January 2012, 7:13pm) *

Wait, does this have anything to do with that Murphy's Law video you recently posted (nice, btw)? THAT would be a celebrity posting on WR. This... meh.

No, it was to the CBGB's shirt (see gomi's comment above), but maybe he's too young to get the reference (again, see gomi's comment above).

QUOTE(gomi @ Fri 6th January 2012, 2:23pm) *

I thought it died in the early 1990s. Serves me right.

It didn't quite die, but it definitely wasn't the same place after the early '90s.
DanMurphy
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 6th January 2012, 7:31pm) *

QUOTE(radek @ Thu 5th January 2012, 7:13pm) *

No, it was to the CBGB's shirt (see gomi's comment above), but maybe he's too young to get the reference (again, see gomi's comment above).

QUOTE(gomi @ Fri 6th January 2012, 2:23pm) *

I thought it died in the early 1990s. Serves me right.

It didn't quite die, but it definitely wasn't the same place after the early '90s.

I turned 41 a few days ago.
gomi
QUOTE(DanMurphy @ Fri 6th January 2012, 11:37am) *

Happy Birthday! Statistically, at least, you are more than half done. Make the best of it.
Web Fred
QUOTE(DanMurphy @ Fri 6th January 2012, 7:37pm) *

Ya young whippersnapper, tongue.gif I actually enjoyed my 40s to be honest.
Zoloft
QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Fri 6th January 2012, 3:29pm) *

My forties were awe-inspiring. Climb that ladder. Now you know how. The fifties may hit you like a load of bricks.
Web Fred
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Sat 7th January 2012, 1:54am) *

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Fri 6th January 2012, 3:29pm) *

My forties were awe-inspiring. Climb that ladder. Now you know how. The fifties may hit you like a load of bricks.

It did me, I didn't feel old until I realised it was my 50th birthday unhappy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.