Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikimedia Estonia is suing over charity status
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
carbuncle
According to the occasionally helpful WR newsfeed, Wikimedia Eesti is suing the Estonian government because they are no longer considered a charitable organization. Story here. There are likely more sources in Estonian, if someone wants to find them.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 11th January 2012, 11:09am) *

According to the occasionally helpful WR newsfeed, Wikimedia Eesti is suing the Estonian government because they are no longer considered a charitable organization. Story here. There are likely more sources in Estonian, if someone wants to find them.

So when does the "Drink with Me or I'll Sue You" phase of the litigation commence?
Michaeldsuarez
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 11th January 2012, 11:09am) *

Wikimedia Estonia: "Give us what we want or we will hurt you. We will force you to overestimate our value to society."
SkyBon
Can anyone tell me what WM chapters are for?
thekohser
QUOTE(SkyBon @ Fri 27th January 2012, 8:08am) *

Can anyone tell me what WM chapters are for?

Tax-exempt get-togethers and parties. In some cases, enough money to get some kid out of his mom's basement into a paid position as "Chapter Manager", or similar. And, purportedly, to make it easier for some strange countries with unusual currencies to make donations to the Wikiculture movement, since it's so difficult to pay the WMF with PayPal or Visa or Mastercard if you live in Bangladesh or Mali.
SkyBon
Other language projects of WM are a joke if you ask me. There is hardly any sense in maintaining local chapters except for "sawing" the money.
Fusion
QUOTE(SkyBon @ Sun 29th January 2012, 5:37am) *

Other language projects of WM are a joke if you ask me.

What do you mean by "joke"? English WP is easily the largest but those in other major languages are a good size. Quality of articles and administration, and internal behind the scenes process? I suggest that English WP is worse than many!

In particular for the Estonian Wikipedia, there is relatively little on the Internet in Estonian language. Many Estonians speak no other language. The commonest second language is Russian. Not surprisingly, much Russian stuff on Estonia and other topics of interest to Estonians has a certain POV! Thus Estonian WP is a very useful addition to available resources. It is not perfect but in some respects is better than English WP. Certainly there are POV edit wars. There are often for example disputes between ethnic Estonians and ethnic Russians in Estonia. But this does not make it a joke.

All this applies to some degree to other East European WPs, although in say Romania many people speak French so there is less need for native language sites.
SkyBon
QUOTE(Fusion @ Mon 30th January 2012, 2:41am) *

What do you mean by "joke"? English WP is easily the largest but those in other major languages are a good size. Quality of articles and administration, and internal behind the scenes process? I suggest that English WP is worse than many!

In particular for the Estonian Wikipedia, there is relatively little on the Internet in Estonian language. Many Estonians speak no other language. The commonest second language is Russian. Not surprisingly, much Russian stuff on Estonia and other topics of interest to Estonians has a certain POV! Thus Estonian WP is a very useful addition to available resources. It is not perfect but in some respects is better than English WP. Certainly there are POV edit wars. There are often for example disputes between ethnic Estonians and ethnic Russians in Estonia. But this does not make it a joke.

All this applies to some degree to other East European WPs, although in say Romania many people speak French so there is less need for native language sites.

You may be laughing but I found shelter from Russian WP madness in en.wiki. At least here I see the rule of law and community effort.
Jeraphine
QUOTE(Fusion @ Mon 30th January 2012, 12:41am) *

In particular for the Estonian Wikipedia, there is relatively little on the Internet in Estonian language.

Relatively? Actually "relatively" there's probably a lot!

QUOTE(Fusion @ Mon 30th January 2012, 12:41am) *

Many Estonians speak no other language.

Most older generations speak Russian on a good level, most of the younger generation speak English on a good level; also a great many especially in Northern Estonia speak Finnish; highschools also teach German and/or French.

I'm just sayin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.