Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leapfrogging MediaWiki
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > MediaWiki Software
Emperor
I'm getting the feeling that MediaWiki is long past its prime. It's 11 years old. Asking people to do [[ ]] just to get a link is barbaric. Images should be drag and drop. References should be easier. This is getting ridiculous.

They keep talking about making editing easier but it's only getting more and more difficult. Wikipedia is infested with templates and complicated code that normal people don't understand. The source code is barely human-readable anymore.

So what's next? I'd really like to get a jump on Wikipedia, take Encyc to the next level before Jimmy and co. get there. I know content is king but the interface is so antiquated... it's just begging for someone to blow past it at this point. The community with all its inertia is going to drag Wikipedia down, hold it back for a long time. It's 2012, not 2007. Wikipedia is very vulnerable. The only question is how.
Michaeldsuarez
QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 25th April 2012, 3:22pm) *

I'm getting the feeling that MediaWiki is long past its prime. It's 11 years old. Asking people to do [[ ]] just to get a link is barbaric. Images should be drag and drop. References should be easier. This is getting ridiculous.

They keep talking about making editing easier but it's only getting more and more difficult. Wikipedia is infested with templates and complicated code that normal people don't understand. The source code is barely human-readable anymore.

So what's next? I'd really like to get a jump on Wikipedia, take Encyc to the next level before Jimmy and co. get there. I know content is king but the interface is so antiquated... it's just begging for someone to blow past it at this point. The community with all its inertia is going to drag Wikipedia down, hold it back for a long time. It's 2012, not 2007. Wikipedia is very vulnerable. The only question is how.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Visual_editor

You're too late. By 2013 / 2014, that vulnerability won't exist.
Emperor
QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Wed 25th April 2012, 3:56pm) *

Thanks for the tip.

I just tried it. I'm not impressed. Also we have to figure if they say December 2012 they mean July 2013.
The Joy
QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 25th April 2012, 7:20pm) *

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Wed 25th April 2012, 3:56pm) *

Thanks for the tip.

I just tried it. I'm not impressed. Also we have to figure if they say December 2012 they mean July 2013.

The developers may be hoping that the Mayans are right so they won't have to do it at all. That's the IT way of doing things! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.