Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Microsoft hired Wikipedia editors
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Lir
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/16528324.htm

Microsoft acknowledged it had approached the writer and offered to pay him for the time it would take to correct what the company was sure were inaccuracies in Wikipedia articles on an open-source document standard and a rival format put forward by Microsoft.
anon1234
QUOTE(Lir @ Wed 24th January 2007, 8:08pm) *

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/16528324.htm

Microsoft acknowledged it had approached the writer and offered to pay him for the time it would take to correct what the company was sure were inaccuracies in Wikipedia articles on an open-source document standard and a rival format put forward by Microsoft.

Microsoft was just boneheaded. The smart ones who are editing wikipedia for cash or as part of their internships are not getting caught.
Somey
Y'know, you would think Microsoft would be smarter than that. If they really wanted to succeed at something like this, they'd surreptitiously hire people who knew Wikipedia inside and out, and knew all the potential pitfalls... and they'd give them remote-accessible private virtual machines to post from, running on a network in Costa Rica or Belgium or something, with IP's not in any way traceable to Microsoft. Or else just private proxy IP's - that would probably work just as well...

Regardless, what are they doing approaching bloggers for something like this, for heaven's sake? Hardly an effective way to ensure secrecy!
Somey
Wow, talk about a story with LEGS! We've had almost 80 entries come in on the RSS feed in just 48 hours - that may be some sort of record, not that I'm keeping track or anything.

Of course, the media loves to bash both Wikipedia and Microsoft, so it's two for the price of one as far as they're concerned...

I wonder where things will stand with OpenDoc once this has all died down? I've always thought it was a good idea, but if all this bad publicity causes Microsoft to pull development resources from supporting it in MS Office, then the whole initiative is probably going straight down the crapper.
Jonny Cache
WikiPayola

Really, to anybody who knows Wikipedia, the only things that are surprising about this story are:
  1. That Microsoft was dumb enough to get caught. Okay, not so surprisng.
  2. That there's any amount of money you can pay somebody to say nice things about Microsoft.
Jonny cool.gif
Somey
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 24th January 2007, 10:14pm) *
[*] That there's any amount of money you can pay somebody to say nice things about Microsoft.

I know, it certainly seems that way sometimes... But think of the tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of IT people out there whose livelihoods are almost completely dependent on Microsoft's continued success. And that doesn't include what must be untold millions of people in a wide variety of jobs who have been trained on the software and at this point, barely know how to use much of anything else.

This is an interesting case, in many respects. Microsoft has always been between a rock and a hard place on issues like this - they presumably don't want to support non-proprietary standards, as they would prefer that everyone simply use MS Word/Excel/etc. and not deviate from their vision of universal conformity to things that they control. But if they're seen as trying to undermine the development of such standards, then people start using the M-word (i.e., "monopolist") against them, and probably for good reason - which just upsets them all the more, really.

The fact is - and I hate to be the one to say it, but it's true - Wikipedia has always been a haven for Microsoft-bashers. But it's one of those situations where if Microsoft sues the Wikimedia Foundation over anything, then it's just going to validate what people have said all along, namely that they want to "control the internet," squash open standards, and kill off open-source development in general. (The fact that they actually do want to do those things doesn't help, of course!)

It's hard to feel sorry for them, what with the billions of dollars always rolling in... but to the extent that it also hurts the little-guy business partner who's increasingly dependent on Microsoft's success to survive, it's all rather sucky.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 24th January 2007, 11:45pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 24th January 2007, 10:14pm) *

That there's any amount of money you can pay somebody to say nice things about Microsoft.

I know, it certainly seems that way sometimes ...

That was, of course, just a bargaining position. They should be encouraged to call my bluff.

Jonny cool.gif
Somey
Well, I for one am tempted to call up Steve Ballmer right now and offer my services as a confidential consultant, but I have this terrible fear that he'd Fucking Killâ„¢ me!

For anyone who's keeping track, this story has now surpassed "China Unblocks Wikipedia," the Citizendium announcement, the bogus "Wikiasari" announcement, and "Wikipedia Blocks Qatar" as the single most heavily-covered media story about Wikipedia since this past summer, when I started merging articles into single threads to get a better idea of how much coverage each story was getting. Admittedly, it's not very scientific, but it sort of gives you a general idea, anyway!
JohnA
The whole surprise is that anyone is surprised by this any more. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.