Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larry Sanger and Chiropractic
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
coriaceous
Larry Sanger seems to be queer for Chiropractic. Clearly, he protects what is essentially quack science. See http://pilot.citizendium.org/wiki/Vertebral_subluxation

Chiropractic can give a good back massage, but the whole idea behind the Palmer method is scientifically unsound.

Citizendium, then, wants to be universally characterized as being run by quacks.
The Joy
I really wish Dr. Sanger would allow non-registered people to view the project. I felt like I was being interrogated with all the information Citizendium wants just to look at the darn thing and I decided not to register.

Is there anyway to look at this without undergoing the Inquisition?
Ashibaka
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 22nd February 2007, 12:15am) *

Is there anyway to look at this without undergoing the Inquisition?

Yeah, I can repost it for you.

http://bbs.shii.org/avictoryforscience.html
The Joy
Thank you, Ashibaka.

I know next to nil about medical science, but the article does seem biased toward Palmer and doesn't really discuss anything outside Palmer's method.
anon1234
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 22nd February 2007, 6:17am) *

Thank you, Ashibaka.

I know next to nil about medical science, but the article does seem biased toward Palmer and doesn't really discuss anything outside Palmer's method.

Also thank you Ashibaka.

The positive spin may be a "symptom" of getting an expert in the topic to write the article. Most experts are likely to be Chiropractic practitioners who hold positive views of the field.

That said, the criticism section is good. I don't mind a positive spin at the beginning since the article should at least introduce the topic as it is understood in its field. There is also a separate article on "Critical views of chiropractic."

My neutral reading (I've never had Chiropractic nor really care that much) is that the Wikipedia article on the topic is of lower quality than this Citizendium one. I'm not even partial to Citizendium, I'm just stating my honest opinion.
Somey
They misspelled "cooperative" with three o's...

Other than that, it really is very well written, at least for a puff piece!
The "Vertebral subluxation model" of disease incorporates this well-accepted account, and goes on to suggest that there are many other important consequences of suboptimal spinal alignment and function. It asserts that, when the information the nerves convey to the brain and spinal cord is disturbed, this affects the organs and tissues that receive a nerve supply from the affected region of the spine. As a result, chiropractors believe that an organ problem is linked to the region of the spine that innervates it. They integrate this information with the other signs and symptoms that were gathered to formulate a rationale for treatment.

Sounds a little BS-ish, eh? To be fair, the Wikipedia version does seem rather... equivocal in some respects as well, but not to the same extent. Presumably the process would be the same on CZ, though, whereby the original author writes a semi-biased expert account of something, and the bias is counterbalanced over time by insertions of crticism, resulting in a Frankenstein's monster of an article that pretends to be neutral but is actually full of internal conflicts and contradictions. In theory, though, it does seem like there would be less of that in a CZ article, which is probably bad in this case. But not all cases, I suspecky...

On the plus side, a strong trend towards people going to wiki sites to obtain vital medical information could really help with the overpopulation problem! ph34r.gif
coriaceous

On the plus side, a strong trend towards people going to wiki sites to obtain vital medical information could really help with the overpopulation problem! ph34r.gif

The downfall of WP just may be in a wrongful death suit caused by the promulgation of quack medicine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.