Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WikiParagons Of Civility
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jonny Cache
I'm dedicating this space to collecting real-life examples of Wikipedian Civility in action. I'm doing this partly for the convenience of those poor souls wandering through this Vale of WikiPurgatory who ever more frequently find themselves haplessly exposed to the gross hypocrisy and utter lolitude of Internet Missionary WikiPositioners, but who, through the grace of those affective-cognitive mechanisms that Gratefully Deaden human beings over time to the memory of their most traumatic experiences, may find themselves temporarily dunderstruck by the outrageousness of the WikiPreveiling WikiPretensions on this score.

Jonny cool.gif
Joseph100
I nominate the king of the fools or the master of etiquette and civility
THE GRAND GAMALIEL.....

Heres a little taste of civility from one of the more polite administrators
the very humble and gracious Gamaliel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Gamaliel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Dea...ck_for_trolling

or this gem..

Since it was 2am my time I figured I had plenty of time to get around to it. But you want a reply, here it is: stop wasting everyone's time, including your own. It is not your talk page, it is a Wikipedia talk page. The needs of the project are more important than your desire for a blank page. If you want a clean page, get a free Wikipedia account. That's it. Gamaliel 07:21, 14 February 2007 (UTC) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Gamaliel#My_Talk_Page

....or some little suckhole boy getting an "attaboy" from the Humble Admin...

You probably saw my message on User talk:207.195.245.205. Did I do the right thing? I know I'm not an administrator, but I have seen a non-administrator do that before. I was in the area at the time and was hoping to reduce the admins' backlog slightly. Acalamari 19:15, 28 February 2007 (UTC)

I don't think there's any harm done, though if he posts another request I'd leave it for another user to deal with. Gamaliel 19:17, 28 February 2007 (UTC)

Okay. Thanks for clearing things up. Acalamari 19:19, 28 February 2007 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Gamaliel#Question.

For the more ambitious folk out there looking at this fine figure of a administrator I'm sure many more little nuggets can be dredged up in the vast history of this classic hole in the ass.

Any rate this is my nomination.
Jonny Cache
Here is my personal touchstone of Wikipedian Civility. As long as I stay above the bar of this shining exemplar of WP:CIVIL and WP:NPA, I will brook no criticism about my own manner of expression from any WikiPriests of Extreme Unctiousness.

QUOTE(Jim Schuler @ 01 Jul 2006)

Subj: [WikiEN-l] Exit Interview -- Jon Awbrey
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:02:05 -0400

Do you try hard to be a simpering twit and insufferable blowhard, or does it just come naturally? Your implicit assertion that only you and you alone apprehend the nature of truth is rather tedious in its inaccuracy and tiresome in its repetition. From what I can see, you are a wannabe philosopher who has all of the skill of Kant in expressing his views, while lacking the insight. I've no doubt that you amuse and impress yourself with your almost-but-not-quite-so-clever neologisms and abstruse dithering, but no one else is impressed (or amused for that matter). In addition, your pretense to genius (which you sometimes attempt to disguise with faux-humility) is both out of place and rather insulting to those for whom genius is not a pretense.

BTW, the jig is up -- most people have discerned your trollishness and take you as seriously as an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon.

'http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-July/049978.html'

By the way, I got this as a blind copy, but I know that it went to others on the list, as I got comments back from one of them -- maybe the moderator? -- however, it seems to have been "disappeared" from the archive in the meantime. Typical.

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Joseph100 @ Wed 28th February 2007, 3:45pm) *

Any rate this is my nomination.

This is only an exhibition.
It is not a competition.
Please! No wagering.

Jonny cool.gif
thekohser
One of my favorites shall always be the e-mail reply I received from Jimbo Himself, when (after we had agreed to an off-Wiki GFDL content arrangement) the community that had been working for weeks to painstakingly create, edit, and nuance the "Conflict of Interest" policy, created a policy that seemed (to me) to be in conflict with Jimbo's agreement with me.

In response to my polite, thoughtfully worded e-mail to Jimmy, which carried behind it (implicitly) all of the careful time and effort that the admin community had expended on WP:COI . . . Jimmy typed only this:

absolutely unacceptable, sorry

That's it.

Short.

Sweet.

Bluntly disrespectful.

I know that this is not a contest, but WE HAVE A WINNER!

Greg
Joseph100
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 28th February 2007, 9:39pm) *

One of my favorites shall always be the e-mail reply I received from Jimbo Himself, when (after we had agreed to an off-Wiki GFDL content arrangement) the community that had been working for weeks to painstakingly create, edit, and nuance the "Conflict of Interest" policy, created a policy that seemed (to me) to be in conflict with Jimbo's agreement with me.

In response to my polite, thoughtfully worded e-mail to Jimmy, which carried behind it (implicitly) all of the careful time and effort that the admin community had expended on WP:COI . . . Jimmy typed only this:

absolutely unacceptable, sorry

That's it.

Short.

Sweet.

Bluntly disrespectful.

I know that this is not a contest, but WE HAVE A WINNER!

Greg

Yup, I have to admit it's a real keeper....

Jonny Cache
Well, I am getting as sick as any normal person would of his constant whining, but banning is way too good for him — the only punishment that fits his cryin' is making him stay here and face the music. That's right, Re-Viewers, I could only be talk'n'bout Dtobias.

Just so we're straight about this WP:Nucular Personal Attack business, and what he has a right to expect from me in the way of expectorations of civility, let me just share with you my recollection of my first encounter with that Admirably Sensitive Soul — you do the acronym:

QUOTE(Dtobias @ 20:54, 27 August 2006 (UTC))

Yeah ... I've sometimes seen people write derogatory remarks that compare lawyers to cockroaches, and this must stop... it's unnecessarily demeaning to cockroaches! [[User:Dtobias|*Dan T.*]] 20:54, 27 August 2006 (UTC)

Source. First Impressions Of Dtobias

I was simply following what I oh so naively thought was the Wikipedia Policy at the time, of not permitting derogatory page names, so I changed the name of this page to the term of art from debate and philosophy that technically described its purpose. And I was even supported in this move by the person who originally created the page, none other than Fred Bauder, whom you all know.

But Dtobias was in the vanguard of that gang of thugs who were so vehemently devoted to this derogatory name that they were willing to block and ban anybody who asked them simply to observe their own rules against defamatory and prejudicial stereotypes.

So please, Dtobias, when it comes to the Gory That Was Rome — you had a big hand in building that city — don't be too surprised if you, like Essjay, find yourself in the Arena one day, staring at the wrong ends of Lions, and Tigers, and Bears.

Oh My !!!

Jonny cool.gif
Somey
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 28th March 2007, 7:45pm) *

I have to admit that I'm usually no fan of lawyers, but I really, really hate cockroaches...!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.