Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Small town isn't happy about Wikipedia vandalism
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Daniel Brandt
Read the reporter's article here. The current Wikipedia article is here. The vandalism lasted 12 days.
Quincy Mayor Dick Zimbelman said Monday he wants criminal charges filed against those responsible and asked the city's attorney to take action.

I say Jimbo and the Wikimedia Foundation are responsible for creating an attractive nuisance for children, and after that, Google is responsible for ranking Wikipedia articles in the stratosphere. But just in case the mayor disagrees with me, I've captured the screen shots, and the IP address of the vandal. Now the question is, "Will Wikipedia pull a 'Fuzzy' and toss the evidence down the memory hole?" If they do, I'll post it all on Wikipedia-Watch.

Actually, the mayor might agree with me:
"It's just not right," the mayor said. It's too easy, he said, for users of the Web site to post malicious content. "I could go on there today and call Moses Lake the worst place in the world, saying it's nothing but a mud hole," Zimbelman said.

(Moses Lake is where the little ISP is located that the vandal used to edit the article.)
Somey
Typical...

And when are they finally going to stop repeating that blatantly-inaccurate "most vandalism is caught and reverted within five minutes" crap? Did they just pull that figure out of their collective asses?

Sure, maybe it gets caught right away if it's just a complete page-blanking, or it just says "ERIC IS FAG," but people have had plenty of time to develop more sophistication with respect to their Wikipedia activities, don't you think?

And if you point out that this is the inevitable result of having a popular website that "anyone can edit," they just wring their hands and whine, "but they just don't understand what Wikipedia is all about! Why can't we make them understand? WAAAAAAAAAH!"

On the WhinyEN-L list today there was another story like this, where similar vandalism that had only lasted two days (oooh, speedy work there, folks!) had been sporked by some Canadian tourism board and actually printed, on paper, in a bunch of brochures they stocked at local hotels.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007...t-brochure.html

So how do you think the whiners reacted when they saw that? Three guesses...

QUOTE(MacGyverMagic/Mgm @ Tue Mar 13 13:06:00 UTC 2007)
A professional company that doesn't proofread their work? I could understand it if they had used Wikipedia info and missed some sneaky vandalism, but copying wholesale without checking it is inexcusable. They deserve what they got.

"They" being the company who printed the things, not the people in the community that got hosed, and not the jagoff behind the IP address who - I'm quite sure - just laughed himself silly over the whole thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.