Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia Contest
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Joel Leyden
The Wikipedia Contest now has editors in English, Spanish, French and Russian.
We are seeking at least two more languages - Japanese and Chinese.
Can you help?
Somey
Perhaps you could post a link to this... contest? Assuming the link doesn't lead to something really awful...

I've always wished I could speak Japanese, more than any other language. Not sure why, but it probably has something to do with gaining a better understanding of sushi menus.
Joel Leyden
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 14th March 2007, 7:50pm) *

Perhaps you could post a link to this... contest? Assuming the link doesn't lead to something really awful...

I've always wished I could speak Japanese, more than any other language. Not sure why, but it probably has something to do with gaining a better understanding of sushi menus.

From what I understand from the organizers, the Wikipedia Contest Website is still being completed.
For this reason they are asking for additional languages.

Be patient. The fun will soon start! biggrin.gif
gomi
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 14th March 2007, 11:50am) *

I've always wished I could speak Japanese ... gaining a better understanding of sushi menus.

As someone who enjoys, for example, uni nigiri, tobiko, and tekka donburi, without having to think too hard about what they are, I can say that some knowledge is just not worth having ...

Skyrocket
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 14th March 2007, 3:50pm) *

With one word, you can deliver a pleasant greeting that is understood by English-speaking Japanese, people from New York City, and quite a few others. They will sometimes be impressed by your linguistic virtuosity: Upon meeting someone, just smile, bow slightly from the waist, and say "Hadafakaya."
gomi
QUOTE(Skyrocket @ Thu 15th March 2007, 10:01am) *

bow slightly from the waist, and say "Hadafakaya."
Just be sure you don't say "madafakaya," which, in many countries, can get you shot.

You might be safer with "hajime mashite" or "konichi wa". The former is formal and used when meeting someone for the first time, the second is a more generic form of greeting, but used in the afternoon rather than the morning ("koniba wa" in the evening). "Ohayou gozaimasu" is used in the morning, but only among social equals.
Kato
I have a masters, and two Phd's in Japanese. I also teach Japanese at a small college in Ohio but edit wikipedia whilst my students are doing an assignment. Can I help?

(Essjay spoof)
Joel Leyden
QUOTE(Kato @ Fri 16th March 2007, 8:48am) *

I have a masters, and two Phd's in Japanese. I also teach Japanese at a small college in Ohio but edit wikipedia whilst my students are doing an assignment. Can I help?

Yes!
Please send your resume to marketing @ IsraelPr.com

Many thanks!
Joel
guy
QUOTE(Joel Leyden @ Sun 18th March 2007, 7:53am) *

Yes!

Many thanks!
Joel

Are you in the market for cut-price gold bricks? tongue.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 18th March 2007, 8:09am) *

Yes!

Many thanks!

Joel

Hmmm, now where would we find an unlimited supply of goldbrickers ???

Jonny cool.gif
Joel Leyden
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sun 18th March 2007, 2:34pm) *

QUOTE(guy @ Sun 18th March 2007, 8:09am) *

Yes!

Many thanks!

Joel

Hmmm, now where would we find an unlimited supply of goldbrickers ???

Jonny cool.gif

Just when you thought that April 1 was over - the organizers of The Wikipedia Contest comment on April 1st - April Fools Day! "Don't be afraid to lie" they quote Jimmy Wales as saying! biggrin.gif
Vincent
QUOTE(Joel Leyden @ Sun 1st April 2007, 4:27pm) *

Just when you thought that April 1 was over - the organizers of The Wikipedia Contest comment on April 1st - April Fools Day! "Don't be afraid to lie" they quote Jimmy Wales as saying! biggrin.gif

IMHO, that's a fitting quote from Wales. Justice does not get proper application on Wikipedia, and lies are a big part of it. I don't see what I want in talking about it. From what I've seen many admins act like the Hathaway character in the movie The Imposter, but instead of doing it for urgency, they do it for some other strange reason: I'd argue for power. I wonder if they can sleep at night like the Hathaway character claims he can?

Vincent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.