Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Termination With Xtreme Prejudice
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jonny Cache
Speaking of G5, here's a stake in the heart from T. Dalton's Book of Love:

QUOTE(Thomas Dalton @ 20:30 UTC, 14 Mar 2007)

I think this is an example of where process should be followed even when it seems pointless. If we don't follow it then the banning policy is actually "Banned users are not allowed to make useless edits.", rather than "Banned users are not allowed to edit." The former is not a useful policy (it basically makes bans a form of probation).

All edits by banned users should be deleted, if they're useful, they can be remade by someone else who can take responsibility for them.

Source. Thomas Dalton, Wickering List, 20:30 UTC, 14 Mar 2007

Another fantastic — and I do mean fantastic — feature of Wikipsychopathology is thinking that Banning People makes them Cease To Exist. Actually believing that you can wish the world away is a classic textbook example of an Infantile Fantasy (IF), but finding it in a person not wearing diapers (UK:nappies?) is a serious symptom of retrograde development. Of course, I don't really have the WP:ATT to prove that they aren't wearing diapers ...

Jonny cool.gif
Somey
This is just standard authoritarian cult behavior, no? Operate under a groupthink-induced self-delusion, revise history as you go along to suit the needs of the moment, simply dismiss any thoughts of the inherent flaws and weaknesses of various systemic or foundational concepts as "bad thinking," all that sort of thing.

I mean, of course they're going to have sock puppet accounts out the ying-yang. It's an anonymous site with no practical barrier to entry whatsoever. WTF do they expect?

What's more, I'd be willing to bet that at least half of the admins started out under different account names, and pissed so many people off they just decided to start over and "play the game" the second, third, or fourth time around, until they finally "got it right," got invited into the clubhouse, and were shown the secret handshake.
Jonny Cache
Finally, someone sounds the right note at Jericho — 'cause I'm pretty sure that the secret handshake is illegal in 16 States, including Florida.

No, the other Joshua ...

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
Doubting Thomas exhibits a ludicrous lack of familiarity with what it would take to implement his proposal, with the sheer magnitude of the work that has been done on Wikipedia articles by people now banned, not to mention that it would violate the most basic provisions of GFDL, not that anybody there really cares a Fig. 1 or a Fig. 2 about a minor detail like that until the press shoves it back in their faces.

Now, a proposal so extreme and out of touch with reality as the Dalton Sanction — one that is so blessedly oblivious to the day2day work of editing and copyediting and formatting and fachecking and cleanupping Wikipedia articles by those who actually do that sort of grunt work — could only be made by one of two sorts of agent:
  1. A wannabe administrator or a bureaucrat candidate with dreams of glorious world domination.
  2. A double agent portraying a True Believer's True Believer as a ruse to subvert the project.
Oh, wait, that's only one sort of agent after all.

Jonny cool.gif
Cedric
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 15th March 2007, 11:48pm) *

This is just standard authoritarian cult behavior, no? Operate under a groupthink-induced self-delusion, revise history as you go along to suit the needs of the moment, simply dismiss any thoughts of the inherent flaws and weaknesses of various systemic or foundational concepts as "bad thinking," all that sort of thing.

Groupthink goooooooood!
VOTING BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.