Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NBC anchor Linda Daniel gets banned!
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
the fieryangel
This off of Jimbo's talk page....

On <s>Friday</s> Thursday [[Lisa Daniels]] reported a news piece on NBC news discussing the recent (?) controversy about the reliability of wikipedia and colleges banning its use as a primary source (see [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17740041/ MSNBC report] and [http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=c9f78c26-7c20-4a9b-94f8-2978b33fad16&f=00&fg=copy Video Link]). As part of the report, Lisa Daniels (using account [[User:LisaDaniels]]) edited/vandalized her own page on wikipedia on air to demonstrate the ease with which ''anyone'' can edit this encyclopedia (see [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lisa_Daniels&diff=116357238&oldid=109276360 edit]). <br>
Soon after the news aired admin [[User:Prodego|Prodego]] blocked the user LisaDaniels account, fearing that it may be used by an impersonator of the reporter. He promptly undid the block after he was satisfied that this was not the case (see discussion [[User_talk:Prodego#Thanks|here]] and [[User_talk:Abecedare#User:LisaDaniels|here]]). <br>
However since then, another admin and very experienced editor [[User:Alphachimp|Alphachimp]] has blocked the user as a "vandalism only" account with [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:LisaDaniels&diff=117534702&oldid=117346981 this message], and is unwilling to undo it (see discussion [[User_talk:Alphachimp#User:LisaDaniels|here]]). I want to invite Jimbo and the larger community to comment on the appropriateness of such action. My reasons for objecting to the block are as follows:
* [[User:LisaDaniels]]'s first edit was reverted within a minute of being made and she made no attempt to vandalize the page again. Instead her [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lisa_Daniels&diff=prev&oldid=116360625 second edit] was aimed at improving the page.
* The user's first edit was a violation of [[WP:POINT]] and she should have been (gently) warned for this. However blocking her indefinitely seems to be a violation of [[WP:BITE]], [[WP:AGF]] and [[WP:BLOCK]] (specifically, ''"Blocks are used to prevent damage or disruption to Wikipedia and should not be used as a punitive measure."'' and ''"Vandalism — Blocks should not be used against isolated incidents of vandalism. Dynamic IPs: up to 24 hours. Range blocks: about 15 minutes, then 1-3 hours, and 24 at most, to avoid collateral damage. User accounts with persistent violations may be blocked indefinitely."'')
* There is no credible fear IMO (I agree that this is subjective) that a public figure like Lisa Daniels will use a account under her own real name to vandalise wikipedia willy-nilly, if for no other reason, out of fear of her activities being reported to NBC or general media watchdogs. Subjectivity aside, at least there is no evidence of this till date.
If the above reasons were all I had, I would have posted this message on the [[WP:ANI]] notice board and not here. However I think this case touches upon larger questions of how wikipedia reacts to neutral/critical reporting in media and how mainstream media, in turn, will view the reaction.
* As discussed [[User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#NBC_News |earlier on this page]] and on [[Talk:Lisa Daniels]], many editors take issues with the balance of the news item and the reporter's choice of vandalizing a page in order to illustrate a point. Note though, that unlike Colbert and the-instructor-whose-name-I-don't-recall, Daniels did not encourage viewer's to vandalize wikipedia articles; only pointed out the ease with which they can be edited. Of course, this attention, would attract both vandals and genuinely interested editors to the projects.
* I don't think blocking or rebuking a user who (relatively non-disruptively) reports on shortcomings of the wikipedia model is appropriate, ''even if one disagrees with the criticism''. To draw another, potentially flawed, analogy, it is akin to disinviting a professor to a conference for the 'sin' of exposing a flaw in a widely used cryptographic algorithm that the public (mistakenly) relies on. I would presume that such a security-through-obscurity approach would be an anathema to a open/free project like wikipedia and that it would instead aim to encourage (constructive) critics and neutral reporters to join in the conversation rather than ban them from it.
* Looking from the external non-wiki perspective, the action of blocking LisaDaniels will be perceived as a retaliation for her reporting and that cannot be good for the project or its public image. I can imagine Jimbo being asked why a anonymous editor (such as, say, {{User|151.196.183.248}}) receives multiple warnings before being blocked for a short period of time; while a well known reporter is blocked indefinitely, without warning, for a single edit made under hear real ID on national television to educate viewers.
I invite your views on the above points. I hope it is clear that I am not attempting to defend reporter Lisa Daniels original actions (I myself am conflicted about that) or even complaining specifically against Alphachimp (since I believe he acted out of sincere conviction, and his views are probably shared by many others). My aim is get your feedback on how you believe wikipedia should react against mainstream critical media coverage ''and the concerned reporters''. Thanks. [[User:Abecedare|Abecedare]] 01:52, 25 March 2007 (UTC)

Can it get even more ridiculous than it is???
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 26th March 2007, 12:17pm) *

Can it get even more ridiculous than it is ???

D'oh! Dat's one a dem rhetorical questions, isn't it ???

I think I see Yet Another Poll (YAP) coming on ...

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
Here is what looks like the Offending Diff that I saw her do on the News — I'm guessing that it must have been taped on 19 March 2007.

I was assuming that she'd be smart enough just to show a preview page, but on second thought I guess that would have muffed the WP:POINT of it all.

I guess we can all sit on the edge of our seats now waiting for the followup.

Maybe there's just something about the name "Daniel" that keeps landing some folks in the Lyin's Den ...

Jonny cool.gif
Somey
Apparently the block was lifted about 20 minutes after this appeared, but even more interesting is Alphachimp's response:
QUOTE(alphachimp @ 13:03, 25 March 2007 (UTC))
Wow. Reactions like this, above, are precisely why administrators are starting to hate volunteering to help Wikipedia. I simply blocked an account that was created to vandalize, and I'm threatened with desysopping? Whatever. You're welcome to continue debating it ad nauseum on this page, my talk page, or any other page. I'll be busy blocking vandals and reverting their vandalism -- helping the encyclopedia. You guys should try it too.

So that brings up two important questions, beyond the obvious and predictable refusal to apologize that's the hallmark of the Wikipedia administrator.

1. Are administrators, in fact, starting to hate volunteering to help Wikipedia?

2. Should those guys try blocking vandals and reverting their vandalism too? I don't believe either User:Abecedare or User:SBHarris (the other guy arguing the pro-sanity side, and my personal favorite WP user) are admins, so they can't actually block the vandals. But given that nobody wants to actually produce and/or improve original content, does it "help the encyclopedia" more to revert vandalism, or does it help more to point out when administrators do things that significantly embarrass the entire website?
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 26th March 2007, 10:45am) *

...or does it help more to point out when administrators do things that significantly embarrass the entire website?

From that same discussion on Jimbo's talk page, here's an interesting statement about Essjay. It's relevant, because the question of criticizing administrators, and when it's appropriate or not, has a Dark Side to it. The WikiLegend tells us that everyone is equal. The WikiReality tells us that you believe this at your own risk, unless you already have as many sysop bits as Essjay had:
...And you have no indication that you find anything wrong with this. Even now. Instead, just the same stuff we got from Essjay about volunteering and being criticized for all the good work you do. Save it. You know how I knew Essjay had gone round the bend, BTW? He matter-of-factly threatened to desysop a sysop who defied him in removing a "nominations open" tag from her own userpage. That was when I knew the man was power-mad. I knew it before Brad and Jimbo and Angela and whoever they are, at Wikia, knew it (I'm not even certain they know it now). But I knew it, by watching how he USED his power. And by his complete refusal to come to grips with the idea that stomping on a newbie with an indefinite block, for a unwarned marginal problem (something Essjay did to me, also) might be a symptom of a problem in the admin himself. SBHarris 02:27, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

Cobalt
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 26th March 2007, 12:45pm) *

Apparently the block was lifted about 20 minutes after this appeared, but even more interesting is Alphachimp's response:
QUOTE(alphachimp @ 13:03, 25 March 2007 (UTC))
Wow. Reactions like this, above, are precisely why administrators are starting to hate volunteering to help Wikipedia. I simply blocked an account that was created to vandalize, and I'm threatened with desysopping? Whatever. You're welcome to continue debating it ad nauseum on this page, my talk page, or any other page. I'll be busy blocking vandals and reverting their vandalism -- helping the encyclopedia. You guys should try it too.

So that brings up two important questions, beyond the obvious and predictable refusal to apologize that's the hallmark of the Wikipedia administrator.

1. Are administrators, in fact, starting to hate volunteering to help Wikipedia?

2. Should those guys try blocking vandals and reverting their vandalism too? I don't believe either User:Abecedare or User:SBHarris (the other guy arguing the pro-sanity side, and my personal favorite WP user) are admins, so they can't actually block the vandals. But given that nobody wants to actually produce and/or improve original content, does it "help the encyclopedia" more to revert vandalism, or does it help more to point out when administrators do things that significantly embarrass the entire website?

1. I'd imagine some would have to be.

2. Moreso embarassing than it already is, for that matter.
Ashley Pomeroy
"That was when I knew the man was power-mad."

I suspect that SBHarris is not long for Wikipedia.
JTM
God damn. A bunch of editors on these page discussing ad nauseum whether this chick can edit her own page. Give these folks mirrors and have them meditate on their own assholes all day. It would be far more useful.
Somey
QUOTE(Ashley Pomeroy @ Mon 26th March 2007, 1:50pm) *
I suspect that SBHarris is not long for Wikipedia.

Ah, but User:Sbharris is the consummate WP survivor - he's extremely smart, knows when to back off, and he's careful not to concentrate all of his efforts on arguments over policy - which is to say, he adds a lot of valuable content to WP as well - and in areas where WP is sorely lacking, namely the sciences, and characters from James Bond movies. And just three weeks ago, in response to the whole Essjay business, he wrote this proposed guideline on Administrators' accountability, which could only have been written by SBHarris. Needless to say, it was quickly rejected, but you can still read it - for now, anyway! And it would've made a good policy too, even with the lack of a possessive apostrophe in the title.

I suppose he might have gone just a little bit overboard on the Essjay thing, because the only admin who ever blocked him was, well, Essjay. The block was completely uncalled-for, of course, and it only lasted a few hours before someone stepped in and corrected the situation... but I suspect he became a little too vituperative, due to his probably wanting a certain measure of public vindication, maybe even revenge. And some of that aggressiveness may have spilled over onto this whole Lisa Daniels business. He'll calm down soon enough, though, I suspect.

By the way, Mr. Pomeroy, welcome to the forum!
Alkivar
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 26th March 2007, 12:45pm) *

the answer is a resounding yes... i mean look at User:Zoe... a highly active reasonably popular admin who left after jimbo waded into a situation he didnt know anything about. She certainly wasnt the first to go...

Regardless of your opinions of her... it certainly proves that statement to be true.
Somey
I've been giving this some more thought, as I'm wont to do, though not always super-successfully of course...

What strikes me is that the admins are pissed off because no matter how much work they do, cleaning up, proofreading, formatting, categorizing, listing, ad nauseum, there are still all these stories in the media for which the "research" consists simply of the reporter (or college professor, or whatever) vandalizing their own biography in order to determine how long it takes for the "experiment" to be reverted.

Ostensibly this is no big deal, because the edits usually do get reverted fairly quickly - mainly because the reporter isn't very clever about it. Obviously, the way to do it so that it wouldn't be quickly reverted is to make a claim that's not obviously spurious, and add a citation to a "reliable source" (which doesn't actually have to say anything about the person, it just has to be a reliable source). But the admins, such as Alphachimp, are totally hamstrung by a set of policies and procedures that prescribe only one way of dealing with these situations - basically, Revert, Block, Ignore. But in high-profile cases like this, that's just a recipe for embarrassment, isn't it?

What they should do is this: Delete the biography completely!

I'm totally serious, or as Al Gore would say, totally serial. A prominent reporter would never vandalize a biography of someone other than himself or herself, wouldn't you say? That would make the reporter look like a bad person, and nobody wants that - so to avoid having people think that, the reporter is only going to vandalize his/her own bio. From now on, if you have evidence in the form of a news report that someone has done this, just delete the bio, and/or replace it with a template that says:

The subject of this article has demonstrated a proven unwillingness to respect Wikipedia policies and guidelines with respect to treatment of biographical articles by the subject. Please do not attempt to recreate this article without first obtaining clearance from an administrator.

Since 99 percent of reporters actually want as much recognition as possible, nothing would scare them more than being deleted... My guess is that the number of "Look how easy it is to vandalize" stories would go from one or two per week (as it is now) right down to near-zero, practically overnight!

It's win-win!
guy
And what if Daniel Brandt does it?
Somey
QUOTE(guy @ Tue 27th March 2007, 11:02am) *
And what if Daniel Brandt does it?

Well, I think they should make an example of him and delete his bio too, don't you think?

No quarter to trolls and vabnals!
michael
All she did was vandalize her own article? Stephencolbert did that, and he's still blocked. Of course, his bit about instructing his watchers to add in the "popoulation of elephants has tripled in the past year" probably went against him, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.