Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo's Code of Conduct
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
The Joy
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Jimbo_Wales_to...edia_Foundation

Rather ironic that this is being proposed while Daniel Brandt and others suffer so. sad.gif
Daniel Brandt
Jimbo is all style, and no substance. When he says he wants to visit me and discuss my problems, what he is really saying is that he can squeeze another speech into his schedule, and he won't even ask for a speaker's fee, but I have to sit there and put up with all of his hot air. Then he can go off and say, "Brandt said this, and Brandt said that, and he misrepresented everything I said in his very strange rant, and I find it hard to take him seriously..." (He's done this to me before and I've never even had a conversation with him).

Jimbo would bring a digital camera for a secret photo, and I'd have to bring a little recorder and secretly record the conversation. It's not a very good basis for a meeting. In fact, if he telephoned me, I'd have to immediately ask him to fax or email me instead, because I need a record of what he tells me.
BobbyBombastic
ok, i read this http://blogging.wikia.com/wiki/Blogger%27s_Code_of_Conduct

interesting. written in typical wiki-prose i find it impossible to distinguish what is vandalism and what is not. first version i clicked on last night http://blogging.wikia.com/index.php?title=...duct&oldid=2602 laugh.gif

although a quote from this http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/03/...r_a_blog_1.html i found interesting

QUOTE(Tim O'Reilly)

When people are anonymous, they will often let themselves say or do things that they would never do when they are identified. There are important contexts in which anonymity is important, for example, for political speech in repressive regimes. But in most contexts, accountability via identity changes how people behave. Requiring a valid email address for comments won't prevent people who want to hide their identity from doing so, but it's one more indication that accountability is valued.

what was that guy's name that made that website about that very idea?

at the code of conduct page they attempt to address this:

5. We do not allow anonymous comments, but will allow pseudonymous ones.

We require commenters to supply a valid email address or OpenID before they can post, though we allow commenters to identify themselves as anonymous, rather than use their real name, which is the difference between pseudonymous and anonymous. We can always trace someone pseudonym.

(For discussion on this please visit the talk page.)

first of all im not even sure if that made any sense but i think i get the idea. we've all had practice at deciphering awkward prose. let's assume we know what the fuck they are talking about
pseu·do·nym
–noun
a fictitious name used by an author to conceal his or her identity; pen name. Compare allonym.

legally a pseudonym does not protect you, but in an online environment, how do you link a pseudonym with a particular individual? my ip address? that can tell you I am in any number of places at any moment. my ISP's email address? laugh.gif

point being, i think if a person wanted to make libelous or harassing comments online under a psuedonym and not get caught, i think one could do it fairly easily.

yes i find it very ironic.

to add to the irony, i am effectively advocating the use of real names, especially when potential libel is involved, while contributing with a pseudonym.

i've got other thoughts on this but i feel i may have drank too much coffee and am entering rambling zone.

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Thu 12th April 2007, 1:40pm) *

Jimbo would bring a digital camera for a secret photo, and I'd have to bring a little recorder and secretly record the conversation. It's not a very good basis for a meeting. In fact, if he telephoned me, I'd have to immediately ask him to fax or email me instead, because I need a record of what he tells me.

risking being called paranoid and rash, i agree with you. there is something that doesn't smell right about jimbo's proposed meeting. although as you said if bomis babes are involved then you should seriously consider it.

although if bomis babes ARE indeed involved in your meeting of the minds, the chance of an unflattering bio pic will increase biggrin.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Thu 12th April 2007, 9:40am) *

Jimbo is all style, and no substance. When he says he wants to visit me and discuss my problems, what he is really saying is that he can squeeze another speech into his schedule, and he won't even ask for a speaker's fee, but I have to sit there and put up with all of his hot air. Then he can go off and say, "Brandt said this, and Brandt said that, and he misrepresented everything I said in his very strange rant, and I find it hard to take him seriously ..." (He's done this to me before and I've never even had a conversation with him).

Like I always say — well, starting now — a face2face negotiation ain't worth the 2face it's written on.

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.