Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: User talk page locked
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Chahax
This user page has been locked to prevent him from using the unblock tag...

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...113&redirect=no

This is a complete silencing of the user, unable even to request unblocks. As you can see, the user continually was treated unfairly, several administrators expressing sympathy, but none willing to overturn a block by Raul654 (can you blame them?)

The reason user was blocked: a single "disruptive" edit...

I hope somebody can contact an administrator to take the edit lock off an already blocked user, or better yet, get the illegal block removed completely.

--Chahax
Vincent
They do that and worse to those who even have a username, let alone not anonymous. They're rude!

Vincent
norsemoose
If that's POV editing, I have a doctorate degree in Theology.
michael
That's nothing new, it's typical to lock pages when a user is being abusive, i.e. posting unblock requests multiple times after they've been denied, or repeatedly blanking the page, etc. I'm not saying that you're doing it, but there's a pretty long precedent for prottecting the page; it isn't new, by any stretch.
norsemoose
QUOTE(michael @ Mon 16th April 2007, 9:46pm) *

That's nothing new, it's typical to lock pages when a user is being abusive, i.e. posting unblock requests multiple times after they've been denied, or repeatedly blanking the page, etc. I'm not saying that you're doing it, but there's a pretty long precedent for prottecting the page; it isn't new, by any stretch.

Yeah, the editor had posted the unblock request six or seven times. They were quite generous in that regard.

I was referring to his edits which supposedly led to the block. It doesn't really appear to have been "POV editing", unless you are taking into account the POV of the administrators involved.
Somey
QUOTE(Chahax @ Mon 16th April 2007, 10:52pm) *
This is a complete silencing of the user, unable even to request unblocks. As you can see, the user continually was treated unfairly, several administrators expressing sympathy, but none willing to overturn a block by Raul654...

You're saying this IP isn't you, then? I thought you said it was, at one point or other.

I'm not saying this is a good thing by any stretch, but it does indicate that patience is wearing thin over there. Many admins are genuinely Not Happy™ with the amount of arguing and bitter acrimony they have to deal with over what almost any uninvolved person would consider total non-issues. The positive way of looking at this is might be that it's the last, painful step towards self-realization for some of these folks, and when that self-realization occurs, most of them are either going to leave WP completely, or come here and join us.

In the meantime, maybe not all of these incidents are popcorn-worthy, but you still have to call 'em like you see 'em. The article on Intelligent Design may be terrible on many levels, but I think it's more interesting in terms of its trajectory, not its quality, accuracy, or POV-ness. Raul & Co. want to prevent the trajectory from even being noticeable - in effect, they want to "stabilize" the thing, preferably in a form they find pleasing in some way. By the same token, each attempt to destabilize it increases the general atmosphere of negativity for them, because they have to go through the same arguments all over again, and ultimately their feelings of negativity spread out and make the whole place less fun for everyone.

That's actually good in terms of the larger picture, but in the short term, well... sucks to be you, I guess?

Sorry... sad.gif
Chahax
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 16th April 2007, 9:14pm) *

This is a complete silencing of the user, unable even to request unblocks. As you can see, the user continually was treated unfairly, several administrators expressing sympathy, but none willing to overturn a block by Raul654...

You're saying this IP isn't you, then? I thought you said it was, at one point or other.

I'm not saying this is a good thing by any stretch, but it does indicate that patience is wearing thin over there. Many admins are genuinely Not Happy™ with the amount of arguing and bitter acrimony they have to deal with over what almost any uninvolved person would consider total non-issues. The positive way of looking at this is might be that it's the last, painful step towards self-realization for some of these folks, and when that self-realization occurs, most of them are either going to leave WP completely, or come here and join us.

In the meantime, maybe not all of these incidents are popcorn-worthy, but you still have to call 'em like you see 'em. The article on Intelligent Design may be terrible on many levels, but I think it's more interesting in terms of its trajectory, not its quality, accuracy, or POV-ness. Raul & Co. want to prevent the trajectory from even being noticeable - in effect, they want to "stabilize" the thing, preferably in a form they find pleasing in some way. By the same token, each attempt to destabilize it increases the general atmosphere of negativity for them, because they have to go through the same arguments all over again, and ultimately their feelings of negativity spread out and make the whole place less fun for everyone.

That's actually good in terms of the larger picture, but in the short term, well... sucks to be you, I guess?

Sorry... sad.gif

Hehehehehe. The more time goes by, the more I find the situation humorous. If I want to wiki, there are internet cafes, libraries, schools, freinds, all with internet access I can use. What I find interesting (indeed amazing and a bit frightening) is what happens to some people when they get a little bit of power. Being an admin on Wiki isn't even REAL power, it's PERCIEVED power...imaginary power.

It paints a clear picture to me of how otherwise nice people turned into monsters during WWII. Can you imagine a guy like Raul654, who by all accounts was a decent guy prior to his becoming an admin, being put in charge of a prison, school, or god forbid, some sort of detention camp or quarrantine area? It's scary. Or imagine him as a babysitter? Or any job where he has power over other human beings? Very scary indeed.

Anyway, I'm really glad I found this place. It's therapy. It's good to be able to vent and get a little chuckle.

--Chahax
anon1234
QUOTE(Chahax @ Tue 17th April 2007, 6:50am) *
It paints a clear picture to me of how otherwise nice people turned into monsters during WWII. Can you imagine a guy like Raul654, who by all accounts was a decent guy prior to his becoming an admin, being put in charge of a prison, school, or god forbid, some sort of detention camp or quarrantine area? It's scary. Or imagine him as a babysitter? Or any job where he has power over other human beings? Very scary indeed.
It's called the Stanford prison experiment.
Vincent
QUOTE(Chahax @ Mon 16th April 2007, 11:50pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 16th April 2007, 9:14pm) *

Sorry... sad.gif

Hehehehehe. The more time goes by, the more I find the situation humorous. If I want to wiki, there are internet cafes, libraries, schools, freinds, all with internet access I can use. What I find interesting (indeed amazing and a bit frightening) is what happens to some people when they get a little bit of power. Being an admin on Wiki isn't even REAL power, it's PERCIEVED power...imaginary power.

Anyway, I'm really glad I found this place. It's therapy. It's good to be able to vent and get a little chuckle.

--Chahax

Hmmm... That reminds me of a psychology experiment they did at Stanford I think, and I see anon1234's previous post now mentions it. In the experiment, they made one group of students "guards" and the others "prisoners." By the end of the experiment, the "guards" got pretty nasty to the "prisoners." I guess it's part of the scene on Dramapedia right now.

Vincent
Chahax
QUOTE(anon1234 @ Mon 16th April 2007, 11:03pm) *

QUOTE(Chahax @ Tue 17th April 2007, 6:50am) *
It's called the Stanford prison experiment.

(goes to read the article)

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Gracious! (Turns Pale White) Thank you for affirming every negative feeling I had about the human race! That is the most horrible thing I've ever read, because it proves without a shadow of a doubt that we are all surrounded by Nazis-in-waiting, some (like Raul654) easier to identify than others, but now to my horror, I can see they are EVERYWHERE!

***I need to leave this planet now***

I will never look at another human the same way again, lol.
Thanks for the paradigm shift.

wink.gif
-Chahax
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.