Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wales suggests "day of reflection" for VT ...
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Unrepentant Vandal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:AN#Read-on..._Tech_massacare

If anyone has the IRC logs, I'm looking forward to the headlines already: "Wikipedia founder mocks Virginia Tech victims. Tawker autistic."
everyking
On what grounds are you saying this?
The Joy
Truly heartless... if Jimbo said it. Until I see the IRC logs for myself, I can't judge him.

I don't know anything about IRC or IRC logs. Surely if he said something like that, someone would've deleted the logs?

See the Current Events and Wikipedia thread also for perhaps better suggestions on dealing with tragedies such as the one at Virginia Tech.

As for Tawker, it was likely a mistype or a typo. There's no need to go after him for his spelling. I'm not an excellent speller either!
michael
QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 17th April 2007, 4:59pm) *

I don't know anything about IRC or IRC logs. Surely if he said something like that, someone would've deleted the logs?

Plenty of IRC clients automatically turn logging on. Once you've said it, it's out there - you can't delete it. Like chatting; you can't delete it later. For IRC, it would just be a matter of finding out who was there at the time and who has logging turned on.
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 18th April 2007, 12:52am) *

On what grounds are you saying this?

I was on IRC when Jimbo said it. He also said that he decreed that there would be no shooting of anyone during those 24 hours. I don't think he was serious. Making WP read-only for 24 hours is really not an option. DS 19:29, 17 April 2007 (UTC)

In short, the main reason for this posting was a comment by Jimmy indicating a suggestion for "one full day of universal world wide voluntary reflection without editing" - in the interests of transparency, I decided to post as such here. I cannot speak for the worldwide impact, I only thought it was fair to being the discussion out into the open and not behind closed doors on IRC. -- Tawker 19:31, 17 April 2007 (UTC)

That I think that Jimbo was actually being quite funny is of course irrelevant, it was still something that the "media" can get righteous about in these over-sensitive times...
BobbyBombastic
what channel, I have been idling #wikipedia all day, im guessing that it was in a super secret channel because I can't find jwales in my logs

actually i got on about 3pm est
norsemoose
Jimbo usually talks his bullshit in #wikipedia-en-admins.

If it's anything particularly notable and important, I imagine it will show up on Wikitruth.

If not, we really won't ever know quite what was said.

(btw, I've been in #wikipedia for the last several days, constant. jwales has not made a single statement during that time.)
Rootology
I'm astounded that more moles aren't disclosing all the laundry in #admin by now.
Somey
QUOTE(Rootology @ Wed 18th April 2007, 6:18pm) *
I'm astounded that more moles aren't disclosing all the laundry in #admin by now.

So am I!

(Please note: Several posts concerning the "Live Chat" link for WR members were moved here.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.