Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pyjamas in bananas
Wikipedia Review > Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
Newsfood
Pyjamas in bananas

Wikipedia imploding?

"I'm not a big fan of wikipedia. Don't get me wrong, it can be a useful starting point to find out the basic facts on non-controversial topics. But it is now ubiquitious and relied upon far too uncritically*. That makes the flaws in the systems behind the scenes important."
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Newsfood @ Fri 4th January 2008, 3:12pm) *

Pyjamas in bananas

Wikipedia imploding?

"I'm not a big fan of wikipedia. Don't get me wrong, it can be a useful starting point to find out the basic facts on non-controversial topics. But it is now ubiquitious and relied upon far too uncritically*. That makes the flaws in the systems behind the scenes important."

Funny name for a blog. The article is well informed, detailed and insightful. This does give some reason to think that even people receptive our views might think we are a bit too concerned with SlimVirgin. Also touches on Durova scandal.
jorge
It's a good blog but as I will say time and again, people who think we are too concerned with SlimVirgin really have not looked at how she systematically acted to bias articles related to the Israel-Palestine conflict and her connections with intelligence agencies. She hasn't been doing it recently on her SlimVirgin account because she knows people are lot of people are looking at her contribs, but she may well be carrying on just as she used to using another account.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(jorge @ Fri 4th January 2008, 4:19pm) *

It's a good blog but as I will say time and again, people who think we are too concerned with SlimVirgin really have not looked at how she systematically acted to bias articles related to the Israel-Palestine conflict and her connections with intelligence agencies. She hasn't been doing it recently on her SlimVirgin account because she knows people are lot of people are looking at her contribs, but she may well be carrying on just as she used to using another account.

Yes I pretty much agree. I especially feel that it is irresponsible of WP not to fully investigate her ties to the intelligence community. I just note that this blogger, who is better informed about Wikipedia and favorably disposed to our work, takes a good natured jab at our "obsession." It gives me pause to wonder what other, less sophisticated, people must think when first encountering our site.
JohnA
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 4th January 2008, 9:13pm) *

QUOTE(Newsfood @ Fri 4th January 2008, 3:12pm) *

Pyjamas in bananas

Wikipedia imploding?

Funny name for a blog. The article is well informed, detailed and insightful. This does give some reason to think that even people receptive our views might think we are a bit too concerned with SlimVirgin. Also touches on Durova scandal.

Popular Australian children's programme
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.