Mon 16th May 2011, 8:55pm
QUOTE(chrisoff @ Mon 16th May 2011, 1:51pm)
QUOTE(radek @ Mon 16th May 2011, 2:30pm)
A Wikipedia paradox, is the whole "obscure article quality" point. You'd think that Travel (T-H-L-K-D)
would be better-referenced than, oh, I don't know ... Gropecunt Lane (T-H-L-K-D)
. But it's not.
Well, anything with "cunt" in it is going to do well. Anything with a sexual ref will do well and get lots of attention.
Actually that one wasn't a DYK (because as we all know Malleus is not one of the "DYK children" who writes about pop culture sensationalist topics)
And if you look at the DYKs that got more than 5000+ views when they were up
you pretty much get:
1. Cute animal doing cute things. Also football/world cup.
2. War (this one is actually a source of puzzlement to all the DYK regulars)
3. War (on this one Russavia actually cheated by having it featured on DYK and then OTD to get lots of hits. Technically it shouldn't be on the list)
7. Food (Bacon)
8. Current politics
9. Cute animals doing cute things.
10. Current politics
12. First pop culture one - and it's James Bond not MLP
13. Sort of war. Well, it's Bolsheviks. Sort of crime.
14. Curious invention
15. Football, but it's really a form of morbidity too
16. Sex/pop culture - first one
18. Food (candy) and current politics
20. War (dis one's mine)
23. Cute animals doing cute things
25. Cute animals doing cute things
26. Cute animals doing cute things
28. (not so) cute animals
29. Current politics (another strange one)
30. Weird animals being weird
33. Space exploration
34. Curious invention
35. Weird animals, science, space stuff
So there's really only one sex related article there. It's hard to say for sure without knowing the the rate of nomination of sex related articles but this looks like an entirely "encyclopedic" list.
Obviously war and morbidity do really well, with cute animals doing cute things being up there too.
Let's see if I can make this a 5x expansion