Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignorant Boob And Damn Proud Of It (IBADPOI)
Wikipedia Review > Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jonny Cache
One of the initial promises of Wikipedia was that people who have information and people who want information about a given subject could come together, virtually speaking, and make the exchange.

The continuing tragedy of Wikipedia is just how seldom this actually occurs. One thing in the way is a third class of people who block the flow of information and obstruct the transfer of knowledge, a type of person who neither has the knowledge, nor wants to have it, but who keeps on keeping others from learning.

Why is this, exactly? -- And what, if anything, can be done about it?

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
I was going to feast the dissembled company -- no, the other company -- on the ghoulash of some real-live -- well, walking dead, at least -- examples, but lest I be j'accursed with the taint of vulturing some carry-on turkeys, I will carry-on instead at a far more ectoplasmic and ichorous level of the astral playin' field of bodhi-snatchers.

But I realize that one person's differential calculus is anudder person's ghoulstone, so to feed the need of ye who feed on fleshed-out examples, let me make the self-serving suggestion that you scurry on over to your favorite festering wikipit, for example, just one, just here.

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
Of course the title is a bit of a misnomer. Apart from the rarest moments of humor or honesty, a person's self-image does not normally portray that person as one who is proud of being ignorant. No, what people are proud of is what they know, what little they know, and the problem is only how seldom it occurs to them how little that is -- especially in the light of something so grand as the Sum Of Human Knowledge.

Why is that?

What can be done about it?

More to the point, what do they usually do about it?

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.