Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About Daniel Brandt wanting his article off Wikipedia...
Wikipedia Review > Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
LamontStormstar
About Daniel Brandt wanting his article off Wikipedia...

What did the old fashioned encyclopedias (those $2000 Britannica books, or the Encarta CD say in the previous millenium) do when a living person wanted themselves out of their encyclopedia?
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(LamontStormstar @ Thu 22nd February 2007, 9:38pm) *

About Daniel Brandt wanting his article off Wikipedia...

What did the old fashioned encyclopedias (those $2000 Britannica books, or the Encarta CD say in the previous millenium) do when a living person wanted themselves out of their encyclopedia?

They only had people in that noone in good faith could argue were non-notable.
Somey
Paper and CD's cost money, so as Mr. Unrepentant suggests, traditional encyclopedias are vastly more selective about who "gets in." Also, the authors' names are known.

So I'd say that a traditional encyclopedia would rarely, if ever, put itself in that position - and if it were a judgement call, they'd probably notify the person to get their permission first. That's not to say it couldn't happen, though.

Of course, if it did happen, it's unlikely that the sheets of paper (on which the biographical material is printed) would rocket straight to the top of Google searches...! dry.gif
guy
I've heard it said that the British Who's Who refuses to remove articles in subsequent editions - once someone's in, they're in for life. Still, almost by definition, if you're in Who's Who you're notable. Also, as Somey says, it doesn't show up in Google searches. (Some encyclopaedias do, of course.)
Alex
Check out the deletion review of his article. Maybe everyone has finally got some sense knocked into them?
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(Alex @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 4:26pm) *

Check out the deletion review of his article. Maybe everyone has finally got some sense knocked into them?

It seems quite clear to me that this is at least related to Brian Peppers...
Somey
QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 12:21pm) *

Ultimately, everything is related to Brian Peppers, isn't it? They should just add a link to the sidebar pointing to a special page containing the current state of the Brian Peppers article, just under "Recent Changes"... They could hard-code it into the next MediaWiki version as Special:CurrentBrianPeppersStatus...

In fact, I might just add that to the top box in the Articles subforum, along with "History of the Chicken Article." smile.gif
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 6:48pm) *

Ultimately, everything is related to Brian Peppers, isn't it? They should just add a link to the sidebar pointing to a special page containing the current state of the Brian Peppers article, just under "Recent Changes"... They could hard-code it into the next MediaWiki version as Special:CurrentBrianPeppersStatus...

In fact, I might just add that to the top box in the Articles subforum, along with "History of the Chicken Article." smile.gif

Obviously I would support this.

However, I think that the Brian Peppers DRV, and the subsequent basic human dignity thing, ahve made it clear to some people how much damage wikipedia can do.
thekohser
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 23rd February 2007, 1:48pm) *

All hail the Special Peppers Link ! ! !

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.