Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The GREAT AUTOGRAPH PAGE PURGE OF 2007!!
Wikipedia Review > Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
the fieryangel
So, you, like, have just pissed off pretty much everybody by having one of the top people on your site turn out to be completely bogus (ie ESSJAY) and you handle that badly. Everybody's pissed and upset about that. How do you further get the "community" completely pissed off and angry because of your cavalier attitude towards these poor serfs???

Well, here's a great idea: you decide to delete all of these perfectly harmless "autograph" pages off of people's user space and tell them that they're complete dorks for having them in the first place!

....Um, these people have a company who does PR for them????

Do they pay the PR. company???

I can't think of anything worse to do at the present time. Do you people really want to chase the "slave labour" force off that badly???

Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 10th March 2007, 8:50pm) *

So, you, like, have just pissed off pretty much everybody by having one of the top people on your site turn out to be completely bogus (ie ESSJAY) and you handle that badly. Everybody's pissed and upset about that. How do you further get the "community" completely pissed off and angry because of your cavalier attitude towards these poor serfs???

Well, here's a great idea: you decide to delete all of these perfectly harmless "autograph" pages off of people's user space and tell them that they're complete dorks for having them in the first place!

....Um, these people have a company who does PR for them????

Do they pay the PR. company???

I can't think of anything worse to do at the present time. Do you people really want to chase the "slave labour" force off that badly???

None of that changes the fact that they're dorks!
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Sat 10th March 2007, 10:23pm) *

Yeah, I'll buy that. I think that it's pretty much of a given here that most people who edit wikipedia could be called "dorks" under certain circumstances...except that the people who want the autograph pages gone are even bigger dorks than the people with the dorky autograph pages in the first place.....

It's just that....You've just all been outed as being completely bogus.

Don't y'all have better things to do, as in trying to establish some sort of credibility???
Unrepentant Vandal
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 10th March 2007, 9:39pm) *

QUOTE(Unrepentant Vandal @ Sat 10th March 2007, 10:23pm) *

Yeah, I'll buy that. I think that it's pretty much of a given here that most people who edit wikipedia could be called "dorks" under certain circumstances...except that the people who want the autograph pages gone are even bigger dorks than the people with the dorky autograph pages in the first place.....

It's just that....You've just all been outed as being completely bogus.

Don't y'all have better things to do, as in trying to establish some sort of credibility???

If Wikipedia users have a responsibility to try and establish credibility, then they owe a resonsibility to the foundation - no one wants to be in this position due to legal drama.
Elara
And people wonder why I quit. They should be fixing the POV issues and stopping fuckwits like Essjay from making intergalactic fools out of Wikipedians. Not this .. garbage.
Nathan
QUOTE(Elara @ Sat 10th March 2007, 9:00pm) *

And people wonder why I quit. They should be fixing the POV issues and stopping fuckwits like Essjay from making intergalactic fools out of Wikipedians. Not this .. garbage.

Touché.
blissyu2
I think that the problem is that some of these people are actually wanting to have fun on Wikipedia. Don't these people realise that Wikipedia is a serious project, and that the only fun that is allowed is when you get to administrator level, and then you can have your fun by banning people, abusing newbies, and distorting articles to your point of view? I mean come on! If Wikipedia allowed things like userboxes and autographs then where is the incentive to abuse your power?
everyking
Autograph pages (all of them) are up for MfD right now and look likely to be kept by a large margin, barring some admin IAR stunt. Even Jimbo was on record a few months ago as supporting the autograph pages.
gomi
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sat 10th March 2007, 7:04pm) *

I think that the problem is that some of these people are actually wanting to have fun on Wikipedia. Don't these people realise that Wikipedia is a serious project, and that the only fun that is allowed is when you get to administrator level, and then you can have your fun by banning people, abusing newbies, and distorting articles to your point of view? I mean come on! If Wikipedia allowed things like userboxes and autographs then where is the incentive to abuse your power?

LOL. Double-plus good!
michael
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sat 10th March 2007, 7:04pm) *

Wikipedia's come down pretty hard on that, actually. It was first the Coffee Lounge games thing that was part of Expernza, and then Esperenza itself. Userboxes was a pretty hacked up solution - it just got shoved to userpace, and I really don't see much of a difference between template and userspace. Plenty of others will point to other sources of fun, such as DAFT, BJAODN, FUN, and LAME.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.