Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secrets Of The Wikipedia Videogame Masters
Wikipedia Review > Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jonny Cache
In the process of working up the play-by-play and color commentary on DennyColt's recent ruse to *dum in the Wikipedia Videogame Olympdics, I suddenly realized that there is probably a great demand among rank novices like myself for a Complete Ediots' Compendium Of Clue Stickers.

And the rest will be hystery ...

Jonny cool.gif
Somey
Indeed, I suspect we can be quite useful in helping n00bz reach sysop status with a minimum of fuss and bother.

Clearly, the over-arching goal of the Dennybot™ is to get that adminship as quickly as possible with absolutely minimal effort, in addition to doing it without having any writing or editorial talent to speak of. But I have to be honest here: Whoever wrote the script Denny is working from is a brilliant tactician, someone who has studied Wikipedia for a long time, and really has all the angles covered, other than that pesky "talent" thing. He could even be one of us here at WR, except most of us actually do have some writing ability. He could even be me, and I've been bashing away at him this entire time because I know it will probably help him get there, as if it's all some sort of bizarre performance art concept...

But assuming that last bit isn't the case, anyone looking to become a WP admin in the shortest possible time need only have a look at Denny's contribs:
  • Write about innocuous article subjects nobody really cares about
  • Participate in all high-profile policy discussions without taking firm positions
  • Unfailing 100 percent edit-summary usage
  • Use revert scripts to quickly inflate edit count
  • Never lose temper, not even when checkuser is done on you
  • Join the Keep Brandt Brigade™ and hammer, hammer, hammer away
  • Post frequent supplications to talk pages of all "cabal"-level admins
  • Vote "support" in every RfA that comes up
  • Vote on AfD's based entirely on who the author of the article is
  • Pretend to have no personal agenda whatsoever (mmm-hmm)
  • Steadfastly refuse to correctly spell the word "consensus"
It's just a matter of time, folks... For all we know, he could be trying to break some sort of record! Do we know what the shortest time from registration to adminship is...?
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 2nd April 2007, 6:20pm) *

Indeed, I suspect we can be quite useful in helping n00bz reach sysop status with a minimum of fuss and bother.

Clearly, the over-arching goal of the Dennybot™ is to get that adminship as quickly as possible with absolutely minimal effort, in addition to doing it without having any writing or editorial talent to speak of. But I have to be honest here: Whoever wrote the script Denny is working from is a brilliant tactician, someone who has studied Wikipedia for a long time, and really has all the angles covered, other than that pesky "talent" thing. He could even be one of us here at WR, except most of us actually do have some writing ability. He could even be me, and I've been bashing away at him this entire time because I know it will probably help him get there, as if it's all some sort of bizarre performance art concept...

But assuming that last bit isn't the case, anyone looking to become a WP admin in the shortest possible time need only have a look at Denny's contribs:
  • Write about innocuous article subjects nobody really cares about
  • Participate in all high-profile policy discussions without taking firm positions
  • Unfailing 100 percent edit-summary usage
  • Use revert scripts to quickly inflate edit count
  • Never lose temper, not even when checkuser is done on you
  • Join the Keep Brandt Brigade™ and hammer, hammer, hammer away
  • Post frequent supplications to talk pages of all "cabal"-level admins
  • Vote "support" in every RfA that comes up
  • Vote on AfD's based entirely on who the author of the article is
  • Pretend to have no personal agenda whatsoever (mmm-hmm)
  • Steadfastly refuse to correctly spell the word "consensus"
It's just a matter of time, folks... For all we know, he could be trying to break some sort of record! Do we know what the shortest time from registration to adminship is...?

The stylistic stagings of the artiste currently known as DennyColt, Incarnate is inspiring beyond the shadow of a doubt, and I have to say that watching the apparent artistry of his-her redoubtably syndicated performance art has genu-whine-ly stirred me from my Dawgmatic Slimbers, but I think that it is incumbent on us right up front — being as we are an up front sort — to subtitle our Review with following disglamour:

Professional Point-Of-View Pusher On A Closed Track

Do Not Try These Stunts From Your Home Account

Jonny cool.gif
anon1234
So he spells consensus, as "concensus"? User:Terryeo did this consistently. So did User:Josh_Grosse, who mysteriously stopped editing in December 2006. Also User:Jc37, User:Blue Tie, User:Combination, User:Rossami, User:OrbitOne, User:SchmuckyTheCat, User:Ilyag, User:Trödel and User:Dionyseus. Lots more. Those are just the first hits.
Somey
QUOTE(anon1234 @ Mon 2nd April 2007, 8:43pm) *
So he spells consensus, as "concensus"? User:Terryeo did this consistently...

Yikes! And he's banned, too, and had 100% edit-summary usage, and was heavily involved in the early phases of the WP:ATT discussions! Terryeo seems to have had a better vocabulary, but the timing is right, since he would have waited about that long for all of his IP's to be expunged from the database. And since he was an avowed Scientologist, he's definitely got motive.

"Consensus" is too commonly misspelled to be a good indicator by itself, but if DennyColt is Terryeo, it could be that his displaying of the "user is interested in volcanoes" userbox might be one of those "nose-thumbing" clues, where he's so confident in being completely unnoticed that he actually risks giving us a hint, mostly to prove to himself that he's more clever than the opposition. If anyone ever mentioned it, they'd just get the standard "wtf are you kidding me" reaction, but a look through his contribs shows no substantive edits to articles about volcanoes at all. Whereas, Terryeo...

It's presumably impossible to prove something like that, even with exhaustive cross-referencing of consistent misspellings, but this is the best candidate I've seen.

As for the others, I don't see any bannees... I would think that with ol' Denny, we're looking for someone who was banned, wants some serious payback, and has plenty of patience.
michael
Using revert scripts won't work effectively. Wizardry Dragon's RFA got stacked with opposes because of he was using too much AWB. You could possibly do it early on, but you'll have to grind and do some non-script edits - oh, I'd guess a month or so before going for RFA.
anon1234
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 3rd April 2007, 4:06am) *
QUOTE(anon1234 @ Mon 2nd April 2007, 8:43pm) *
So he spells consensus, as "concensus"? User:Terryeo did this consistently...
Yikes! And he's banned, too, and had 100% edit-summary usage, and was heavily involved in the early phases of the WP:ATT discussions! Terryeo seems to have had a better vocabulary, but the timing is right, since he would have waited about that long for all of his IP's to be expunged from the database. And since he was an avowed Scientologist, he's definitely got motive.
Great work. Going through Terryeo's contributions, I am surprised by the similarity of interests and also his previously ingratiating attitude toward SlimVirgin. I think we might have a match here, although as you make quite clear, we've got very little evidence to work with.
The Joy
More than a few people on Wiki seem suspicious of DennyColt. Hasn't he been checkusered twice with nothing confirmed?
thekohser
QUOTE(anon1234 @ Tue 3rd April 2007, 1:10am) *

Great work. Going through Terryeo's contributions, I am surprised by the similarity of interests and also his previously ingratiating attitude toward SlimVirgin. I think we might have a match here, although as you make quite clear, we've got very little evidence to work with.

Should I point out that if you quickly look at "DennyColt" and "Terryeo", one might form a linkage, that is: Deney Terrio???

Coincidence? Or irony?

P.S. When you look at the Wikipedia article for Deney Terrio, please note the one and only reference citation backs up a legal suit that Terrio filed, stating that Merv Griffin forced himself on Denny -- err, sorry -- Deney. Then, note that the reference points to one of your more authoritative WP:RS's -- a Tripod celebrity biography page. Shall we check in with WikiEN-l to find out if Tripod is considered better or worse than a blog, in terms of editorial review? rolleyes.gif

Greg
Somey
QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 3rd April 2007, 12:42am) *
More than a few people on Wiki seem suspicious of DennyColt. Hasn't he been checkusered twice with nothing confirmed?

Heh heh... It's not like we have a monopoly on suspiciousness, or ability to look up diffs and do searches on consistent misspellings! I'm sure there are plenty of people on WP who have been thinking along the same lines as some of us. I'd be interested to know what User:Radiant! thinks of the situation, for example.

Anyway, checkuser doesn't work after 4-6 weeks or so - they wipe the IP data that's associated with named user accounts on a regular basis. Anyone with a year's worth of WP experience would know that, I would assume...

Look, I know how this is probably going to sound to WP'ers, but let's be perfectly frank: If you're a banned user who wants to return as a "sleeper" account to try and become an admin (so you can really "stick it to 'em" or whatever else you think you're going to achieve), just don't be an idiot, okay? Stay away from the goddamned Brandt article. Pretend it doesn't even exist. Remember, if you really were a n00b, you'd never have heard of Brandt anyway, just like everyone else outside of Wikiland.

If you join the Keep Brandt Brigade™, we will scrutinize you, and we're not idiots. I personally will see to it if I have to! But if you join the good guys in the Delete Brandt Resistance™, they will scrutinize you - and while most of them are idiots, it's certainly not all of them, and there are a lot more of them than there are of us. So do yourself a favor, kids, and steer clear! Do the right thing - you'll thank yourself later, I promise! smile.gif
The Joy
Ah, here we are! That's what I was thinking of. "MisterHamburger"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req.../Case/DennyColt

Static link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=118592591
Somey
Well, it's a case in point, in that it shows there are suspicions, but at the same time I'm afraid it's also a failure of imagination, not to mention an example of pulling the trigger before the gun is loaded.

Someone hell-bent on adminship to the extent that this guy is would never be caught sock-puppeting in a million years. I'd even go so far as to guess that he's been extra-careful, and gotten himself a new ISP - just in case someone had obtained his IP address under the previous account and stored it in a local-HD file somewhere.

So, while User:Reinoutr's heart was in the right place, he may have only made things worse by giving "Denny" another opportunity to show what a team player he is. That'll look just fine on his upcoming RfA too, I suspecky!

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 3rd April 2007, 12:48am) *
Should I point out that if you quickly look at "DennyColt" and "Terryeo", one might form a linkage, that is: Deney Terrio???

Well... Sure, why not? I mean, sure, it's a completely silly idea, but so is Wikipedia itself!

And to be honest, I'd always suspected that of Merv Griffin, ever since that show he did with the big hot tub.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(anon1234 @ Mon 2nd April 2007, 9:43pm) *

So he spells consensus, as "concensus"? User:Terryeo did this consistently. So did User:Josh_Grosse, who mysteriously stopped editing in December 2006. Also User:Jc37, User:Blue Tie, User:Combination, User:Rossami, User:OrbitOne, User:chmuckyTheCat, User:Ilyag, User:Trödel and User:Dionyseus. Lots more. Those are just the first hits.

Let he who is without consinsus chmuck the first cat ...

Or is it the other way around ???

Oh well ...

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
Divertimento on a Stream of Conscensusness ...

It is probbaly not worth mentioning it — so naturally I feel compelled to do just that — but I have had my own run-in with a whole ganglia of meat-and/or-sock puppets who came under suspicion precisely on account of this defrecated spelling of cons/census, which the leader of their puppet pack pretentiously x-postulated, somewhat ad hoaxly and ex puppet facto, was really a venerable if slightly archaic spelling. I suspect that it betrays unconscious undertones of some such notion as "truth by census", but never mind that now.

Anyway, for your amusement if nothing else, here is a pertinent link:

Talk:Charles Peirce#Last week I couldn't even spell "CONCENSUS" and today I are one

Jonny cool.gif
The Joy
Check User for Terryeo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...er/Case/Terryeo

I'm skeptical that DennyColt is Terryeo. Denny's arena is more on anime and Dragon Ball Z. Terryeo focused almost completely on Scientology.

If DennyColt is Terryeo, he's very clever.

Of course the best sockpuppeteers are the ones you never hear about.
BobbyBombastic
yeah Terryeo seemed to be a scientologist or at the very least a scientologist apologist (which would be a good troll account name) ph34r.gif

hi im new smile.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 3rd April 2007, 3:24pm) *

Of course the best sockpuppeteers are the ones you never hear about.

Isn't that a little like saying that the best politicians are the ones you never hear about?

Hmmm ... append "until it's too late" and I guess we are talking about Carl Rove.

Jonny cool.gif
Cedric
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Tue 3rd April 2007, 2:50pm) *

yeah Terryeo seemed to be a scientologist or at the very least a scientologist apologist (which would be a good troll account name) ph34r.gif

hi im new smile.gif

Hi Bobby. Welcome! smile.gif
BobbyBombastic
hi cedric thanks for the welcome
Somey
I know this is going to sound like back-tracking after the last couple of days, but I'm actually quite willing to believe most of what Denny is saying on his new Editor Review page, which in a nutshell is that he's got a bit more spare time these days than might be considered "optimal." (I'm a master of understatement, you see!) None of it contradicts the point that he's clearly gunning for adminship, of course...

What I definitely don't buy is this line of BS:
I helped out (I don't even know how I got into that mess now) on the Daniel Brandt fiasco. I wanted to see if the guy actually was notable, and found 60+ sources showing he was without trying. Given that heated cesspool of a mess, I think I held my calm very well.

He actually didn't "help out," but rather made things much, much worse; he knows exactly how and why he got into that "mess"; he helped make it a "fiasco" himself; he didn't care a whit about Brandt's so-called "notability" but simply wanted to use the issue to make a big "splash" and get attention for himself; and he didn't "hold his calm" well at all, but rather enflamed an already-problematic situation by helping JoshuaZ, David Spart, and the rest of the gang of Wikithugs badger and berate anyone who voted against the Party Line.

If there were any justice in the world, everyone would go straight to Denny's latest creation, The BLP Check Page, and list the Brandt article as "requiring immediate attention in the form of immediate deletion." And why would someone like this create such a page? What's the motivation, if not to create an artificial position of prominence?
Jonny Cache
Just like always, things have been moving way too fast for an old geezer like me, but at least Somey has gone and done half my homework for me.

I didn't really mean for this Bag-o-Trix to be based entirely on DennyColt's Denny-Come-Lately antics, though I do think that he-she provides us with a striking example of consummate deception in the making.

So let me use this page in a dynamic fashion to assemble some of the difs-&-dats that came to mind last week, before the moving finger moves on and I forget the lyin's share of What Was Writ.

Datapoints —Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
I'm going to observe a moratorium with regard to doing any more e-legwork on DennyColt, as I am seriously beginning to suspect that he-she might be an Agent ProZac-Ateur, if not indeed one of our own more lovable local yokels, then some In-&-Out-But-Still-A-Bit-Dim-Side Force who is hell-bent to create an even bigger scandal than the Essjay Debacle.

In the mean time, however, those of you who are looking for a good easter-passover-chicken-egg hunt may want to probe a few eggsamples of the diffs and links that I listed above, where DennyColt engages in a bit of Morality Play Punch-&-Jimbo Show with several other probable pupsockets, all by way of providing plausible aw-schucks-ability for the fact that he-she is wiki-precociously posting on the ANIL Detention Bullet-n-Scheiß Board at a WP:AGE when most N00BS still believe in Fairy Tales like WP:3CPO and WP:R2D2.

Happy HK-ing !!!

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.